pyGTK help subsystem?

steve_geo

Hi all,

Not sure if this is a silly question or not.

Can't seem to find much info what to do to create my help pages for an
application.

Is there some generic format format that works on both windows and linux
based systems?

Do I need to use underlying OS features directly?

Any info would be appreciated, .. never created help pages in my life

Thanks
Steve

Re: pyGTK help subsystem?

Donn-11
> Is there some generic format format that works on both windows and linux
> based systems?
I'd stick to HTML. Write your pages in normal HTML with images etc Then
experiment -- can you popup a browser? Perhaps you can find a way to display
HTML pages in a GTK window - I know wxPython has that option, sure pyGTK does
too. It's the easiest way I know at the moment.

/d

Re: pyGTK help subsystem?

Yuri Pimenov
gtkhtml2 has python bindings. Though they are in a sorry state. But
i've successed
compiling and using it on win32 (don't ask me how).

--
Yuri Pimenov

Re: pyGTK help subsystem?

Gian Mario Tagliaretti-3
2007/12/10, Yuri Pimenov <[hidden email]>:

> gtkhtml2 has python bindings. Though they are in a sorry state.

I see so many people complaining about that but no patches or even bug
reports ever landed into bugzilla, complaining on a mailing list won't
make things better, does it?

> But
> i've successed
> compiling and using it on win32 (don't ask me how).

Couldn't you blog about how you did it or even write a small doc? That
would have help a lot.

cheers
--
Gian Mario Tagliaretti

Re: pyGTK help subsystem?

Yuri Pimenov
On 10/12/2007, Gian Mario Tagliaretti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2007/12/10, Yuri Pimenov <[hidden email]>:
>
> > gtkhtml2 has python bindings. Though they are in a sorry state.
>
> I see so many people complaining about that but no patches or even bug
> reports ever landed into bugzilla, complaining on a mailing list won't
> make things better, does it?

There are two problems with gtkhtml2:
1. Zero documentation.
2. It seems to be unsupported.

Imo, putting effort into mozembed and/or webkit gtk+ bindings
has more perspective.

> > But
> > i've successed
> > compiling and using it on win32 (don't ask me how).
>
> Couldn't you blog about how you did it or even write a small doc? That
> would have help a lot.

Sorry, my english is too bad for that. But i am open to help anyone
willing to do it.

--
Yuri Pimenov

Re: pyGTK help subsystem?

John Dennis

> There are two problems with gtkhtml2:
> 1. Zero documentation.
> 2. It seems to be unsupported.
>
> Imo, putting effort into mozembed and/or webkit gtk+ bindings
> has more perspective.

Those in the know (gnome developers) have told me gtkhtml{2,3} is
deprecated in favor of mozembed.

I've been using gtkhtml2 in an application of mine and I'm not a fan of
it, to be perfectly honest, it's kind of a hack and a limited one at
that. gtkhtml2 has serious problems with selections written to the
clipboard as well as printing, mozembed is supposed to remedy a number
of these limitations. I tried to convert from gtkhtml2 to mozembed about
a year ago and ran into problems loading mozilla extension libraries
required by mozembed because the library load path was not properly
defined when mozembed was built. I have not revisited this since then
but I think that problem may have since been fixed, just a heads up. If
you hit that problem you might need to upgrade to the latest, but that
might be an issue for installation on systems you have no control over.
If you do get mozembed fully working there are others who would
appreciate documenting what you did with some example code.  While it's
true gtkhtml2 has virtually no documentation, my recollection is
mozembed's documentation is also quite limited, albeit a bit better than
gtkhtml2, most of the documentation seems to be contained in the example
code (some of which is just C). Wishing you success!

--
John Dennis <[hidden email]>