pygi - gtk drawingarea doesn't work?

Giuseppe Penone
Hi, running the demo http://git.gnome.org/browse/pygobject/tree/examples/cairo-demo.py
about the drawing area produces on my lubuntu 12.04 an empty window.
the 'draw' event is never called, is this a bug?
Regards,
Giuseppe.

Re: pygi - gtk drawingarea doesn't work?

David Ripton
On 07/13/2012 12:16 PM, Giuseppe Penone wrote:
> Hi, running the demo
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/pygobject/tree/examples/cairo-demo.py
> about the drawing area produces on my lubuntu 12.04 an empty window.
> the 'draw' event is never called, is this a bug?

That demo works fine on my Ubuntu 12.04 box, and my Lubuntu 11.10 box.

'draw' should get called when the window is first exposed, and again any
time the window is damaged.

You have python-gobject installed, right?

--
David Ripton    [hidden email]

Re: pygi - gtk drawingarea doesn't work?

Giuseppe Penone
On my home laptop it also works fine (lubuntu 1204 64bit running but also gnome-shell installed).
I did check only for gir1.2-gtk-3.0 at my work pc (clean lubuntu 1204 64 bit), so I have to check for python-gobject too, many thanks.
Strange that the demo didn't give any feedback to the terminal anyway about the missing package, just never called the draw event.
Regards,
Giuseppe.

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 12:50 AM, David Ripton <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/13/2012 12:16 PM, Giuseppe Penone wrote:
Hi, running the demo
http://git.gnome.org/browse/pygobject/tree/examples/cairo-demo.py
about the drawing area produces on my lubuntu 12.04 an empty window.
the 'draw' event is never called, is this a bug?

That demo works fine on my Ubuntu 12.04 box, and my Lubuntu 11.10 box.

'draw' should get called when the window is first exposed, and again any time the window is damaged.

You have python-gobject installed, right?

--
David Ripton    [hidden email]

Re: pygi - gtk drawingarea doesn't work?

Giuseppe Penone
on a clean lubuntu 1204 installation (either 32 and 64 bit), ensured that python-gobject and gir1.2-gtk-3.0 are installed, the attached demo doesn't work.
the event 'draw' is never called.
no any feedback on the terminal.
at my home I have still lubuntu 1204 but also gnome and unity installed and there it works fine.
can anybody help me to understand what package I'm missing?

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 7:20 PM, Giuseppe Penone <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

drawingarea_test.py (3K) Download Attachment

Re: pygi - gtk drawingarea doesn't work?

John Stowers
Works for me. Ubuntu 12.04

I think your install is broken.

John

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Giuseppe Penone <[hidden email]> wrote:

> on a clean lubuntu 1204 installation (either 32 and 64 bit), ensured that
> python-gobject and gir1.2-gtk-3.0 are installed, the attached demo doesn't
> work.
> the event 'draw' is never called.
> no any feedback on the terminal.
> at my home I have still lubuntu 1204 but also gnome and unity installed and
> there it works fine.
> can anybody help me to understand what package I'm missing?
>

> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 7:20 PM, Giuseppe Penone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On my home laptop it also works fine (lubuntu 1204 64bit running but also
>> gnome-shell installed).
>> I did check only for gir1.2-gtk-3.0 at my work pc (clean lubuntu 1204 64
>> bit), so I have to check for python-gobject too, many thanks.
>> Strange that the demo didn't give any feedback to the terminal anyway
>> about the missing package, just never called the draw event.
>> Regards,
>> Giuseppe.

>>> That demo works fine on my Ubuntu 12.04 box, and my Lubuntu 11.10 box.
>>>
>>> 'draw' should get called when the window is first exposed, and again any
>>> time the window is damaged.
>>>
>>> You have python-gobject installed, right?
>>>
>>> --
>>> David Ripton    [hidden email]

Re: pygi - gtk drawingarea doesn't work?

Giuseppe Penone
I tried on more that one installation, either 32 and 64 bit versions of Lubuntu 12.04.
with Ubuntu 12.04 it works for me too, also with Lubuntu where I have other desktops installed (unity, gnome).
I'm trying to understand what are the missing dependencies because I cannot ask the users to install gnome to have drawingarea work...

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:18 AM, John Stowers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Works for me. Ubuntu 12.04

I think your install is broken.

John

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Giuseppe Penone <[hidden email]> wrote:
> on a clean lubuntu 1204 installation (either 32 and 64 bit), ensured that
> python-gobject and gir1.2-gtk-3.0 are installed, the attached demo doesn't
> work.
> the event 'draw' is never called.
> no any feedback on the terminal.
> at my home I have still lubuntu 1204 but also gnome and unity installed and
> there it works fine.
> can anybody help me to understand what package I'm missing?
>

> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 7:20 PM, Giuseppe Penone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On my home laptop it also works fine (lubuntu 1204 64bit running but also
>> gnome-shell installed).
>> I did check only for gir1.2-gtk-3.0 at my work pc (clean lubuntu 1204 64
>> bit), so I have to check for python-gobject too, many thanks.
>> Strange that the demo didn't give any feedback to the terminal anyway
>> about the missing package, just never called the draw event.
>> Regards,
>> Giuseppe.

>>> That demo works fine on my Ubuntu 12.04 box, and my Lubuntu 11.10 box.
>>>
>>> 'draw' should get called when the window is first exposed, and again any
>>> time the window is damaged.
>>>
>>> You have python-gobject installed, right?
>>>
>>> --
>>> David Ripton    [hidden email]

Re: pygi - gtk drawingarea doesn't work?

Giuseppe Penone
in case it can help, running the py-gi demo http://git.gnome.org/browse/pygobject/tree/demos/gtk-demo (git clone http://git.gnome.org/browse/pygobject/)
and double clicking on the Drawing Area element I get:

bazinga@lu1204:~/Templates/git_pygobject/demos/gtk-demo$ ./gtk-demo.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/bazinga/Templates/git_pygobject/demos/gtk-demo/demos/drawingarea.py", line 162, in scribble_configure_event
    allocation.height)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/types.py", line 43, in function
    return info.invoke(*args, **kwargs)
TypeError: Couldn't find conversion for foreign struct 'cairo.Surface'

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Giuseppe Penone <[hidden email]> wrote:
I tried on more that one installation, either 32 and 64 bit versions of Lubuntu 12.04.
with Ubuntu 12.04 it works for me too, also with Lubuntu where I have other desktops installed (unity, gnome).
I'm trying to understand what are the missing dependencies because I cannot ask the users to install gnome to have drawingarea work...

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:18 AM, John Stowers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Works for me. Ubuntu 12.04

I think your install is broken.

John

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Giuseppe Penone <[hidden email]> wrote:
> on a clean lubuntu 1204 installation (either 32 and 64 bit), ensured that
> python-gobject and gir1.2-gtk-3.0 are installed, the attached demo doesn't
> work.
> the event 'draw' is never called.
> no any feedback on the terminal.
> at my home I have still lubuntu 1204 but also gnome and unity installed and
> there it works fine.
> can anybody help me to understand what package I'm missing?
>

> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 7:20 PM, Giuseppe Penone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On my home laptop it also works fine (lubuntu 1204 64bit running but also
>> gnome-shell installed).
>> I did check only for gir1.2-gtk-3.0 at my work pc (clean lubuntu 1204 64
>> bit), so I have to check for python-gobject too, many thanks.
>> Strange that the demo didn't give any feedback to the terminal anyway
>> about the missing package, just never called the draw event.
>> Regards,
>> Giuseppe.

>>> That demo works fine on my Ubuntu 12.04 box, and my Lubuntu 11.10 box.
>>>
>>> 'draw' should get called when the window is first exposed, and again any
>>> time the window is damaged.
>>>
>>> You have python-gobject installed, right?
>>>
>>> --
>>> David Ripton    [hidden email]

Re: pygi - gtk drawingarea doesn't work?

Giuseppe Penone
ok installing python-gi-cairo made it, this is to be added to the dependencies if drawingarea is used.

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Giuseppe Penone <[hidden email]> wrote:
in case it can help, running the py-gi demo http://git.gnome.org/browse/pygobject/tree/demos/gtk-demo (git clone http://git.gnome.org/browse/pygobject/)
and double clicking on the Drawing Area element I get:

bazinga@lu1204:~/Templates/git_pygobject/demos/gtk-demo$ ./gtk-demo.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/bazinga/Templates/git_pygobject/demos/gtk-demo/demos/drawingarea.py", line 162, in scribble_configure_event
    allocation.height)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/types.py", line 43, in function
    return info.invoke(*args, **kwargs)
TypeError: Couldn't find conversion for foreign struct 'cairo.Surface'

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Giuseppe Penone <[hidden email]> wrote:
I tried on more that one installation, either 32 and 64 bit versions of Lubuntu 12.04.
with Ubuntu 12.04 it works for me too, also with Lubuntu where I have other desktops installed (unity, gnome).
I'm trying to understand what are the missing dependencies because I cannot ask the users to install gnome to have drawingarea work...

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:18 AM, John Stowers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Works for me. Ubuntu 12.04

I think your install is broken.

John

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Giuseppe Penone <[hidden email]> wrote:
> on a clean lubuntu 1204 installation (either 32 and 64 bit), ensured that
> python-gobject and gir1.2-gtk-3.0 are installed, the attached demo doesn't
> work.
> the event 'draw' is never called.
> no any feedback on the terminal.
> at my home I have still lubuntu 1204 but also gnome and unity installed and
> there it works fine.
> can anybody help me to understand what package I'm missing?
>

> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 7:20 PM, Giuseppe Penone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On my home laptop it also works fine (lubuntu 1204 64bit running but also
>> gnome-shell installed).
>> I did check only for gir1.2-gtk-3.0 at my work pc (clean lubuntu 1204 64
>> bit), so I have to check for python-gobject too, many thanks.
>> Strange that the demo didn't give any feedback to the terminal anyway
>> about the missing package, just never called the draw event.
>> Regards,
>> Giuseppe.

>>> That demo works fine on my Ubuntu 12.04 box, and my Lubuntu 11.10 box.
>>>
>>> 'draw' should get called when the window is first exposed, and again any
>>> time the window is damaged.
>>>
>>> You have python-gobject installed, right?
>>>
>>> --
>>> David Ripton    [hidden email]

Re: pygi - gtk drawingarea doesn't work?

Tomeu Vizoso-3
On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Giuseppe Penone <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ok installing python-gi-cairo made it, this is to be added to the
> dependencies if drawingarea is used.

Hi,

looks like this bug should be reported to Ubuntu.

Regards,

Tomeu