pyqtdeploy-sysroot: Unable to find an installation of Python v2.7

pyqtdeploy-sysroot: Unable to find an installation of Python v2.7

Neil Jansen
I'm trying to get the demo pyqtdeploy project working, and have hopefully gotten past the openssl building step in my previous email.

Now I'm getting the following:

------------------
Building Qt5 from source
pyqtdeploy-sysroot: Unable to find an installation of Python v2.7.
------------------

My build setup, architecture, dependencies are as follows:
- OS and architecture: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, running on Intel Core i7-4790, 16GB memory
- Python version: Python 3.5.1
- Compiler suite: VS2015 x64
- pyqtdeploy version: 2.1 from pypi
- qt5 version: qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.9.3.tar.xz

It appears that the Qt5Component._build_from_source() in lib\site-packages\pyqtdeploy\sysroot\plugins\qt5.py is hard-coded to use Python 2.7's path when configuring and making, and installing qt5.

Why does building Qt5 require Python 2.7 to be on the PATH?  Especially when pyqtdeploy requires Python 3.3 or later?  I didn't think that building Qt5 required Python in any way at all.

Is it possible to build Qt5 without Python 2.7 installed?  If so, how do I go about doing that, especially since the 2.7 version callout above is hard-coded into the library?  Can those lines be removed?

Re: pyqtdeploy-sysroot: Unable to find an installation of Python v2.7

Phil Thompson-5
On 7 Feb 2018, at 6:29 pm, Neil Jansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to get the demo pyqtdeploy project working, and have hopefully gotten past the openssl building step in my previous email.
>
> Now I'm getting the following:
>
> ------------------
> Building Qt5 from source
> pyqtdeploy-sysroot: Unable to find an installation of Python v2.7.
> ------------------
>
> My build setup, architecture, dependencies are as follows:
> - OS and architecture: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, running on Intel Core i7-4790, 16GB memory
> - Python version: Python 3.5.1
> - Compiler suite: VS2015 x64
> - pyqtdeploy version: 2.1 from pypi
> - qt5 version: qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.9.3.tar.xz
>

> It appears that the Qt5Component._build_from_source() in lib\site-packages\pyqtdeploy\sysroot\plugins\qt5.py is hard-coded to use Python 2.7's path when configuring and making, and installing qt5.

On Windows it will use the registry - it doesn't need to be on PATH.

> Why does building Qt5 require Python 2.7 to be on the PATH?  Especially when pyqtdeploy requires Python 3.3 or later?  I didn't think that building Qt5 required Python in any way at all.

It does. I think it's just one module and I can't remember which one offhand.

> Is it possible to build Qt5 without Python 2.7 installed?  If so, how do I go about doing that, especially since the 2.7 version callout above is hard-coded into the library?  Can those lines be removed?

Phil

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 5:28 PM, Phil Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7 Feb 2018, at 6:29 pm, Neil Jansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm trying to get the demo pyqtdeploy project working, and have hopefully gotten past the openssl building step in my previous email.
> > Now I'm getting the following:
> > pyqtdeploy-sysroot: Unable to find an installation of Python v2.7.
> > [...]
> > It appears that the Qt5Component._build_from_source() in lib\site-packages\pyqtdeploy\sysroot\plugins\qt5.py is hard-coded to use Python 2.7's path when configuring and making, and installing qt5.
>
> On Windows it will use the registry - it doesn't need to be on PATH.

I see that it's trying to look into the registry to see where the Python 2.7 install directory is.  The problem is that I don't have Python 2.7 installed, so it's failing.  My questions was, is there some reason that it's hard-coded to 2.7?  If I made edits to the file above to hard-code it to 'C:\python35', for example, would that work?  Or does it require 2.7 for some reason?

After some searching, I found this: http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/windows-requirements.html  .. It says it requires Python when building under Windows, but that's all it says.  Are you implying that it requires Python 2.7 specifically?

On 07/02/2018 22:45, Neil Jansen wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 5:28 PM, Phil Thompson
> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 7 Feb 2018, at 6:29 pm, Neil Jansen
>> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> > I'm trying to get the demo pyqtdeploy project working, and have
> hopefully gotten past the openssl building step in my previous email.
>> > Now I'm getting the following:
>> > pyqtdeploy-sysroot: Unable to find an installation of Python v2.7.
>> > [...]
>> > It appears that the Qt5Component._build_from_source() in
> lib\site-packages\pyqtdeploy\sysroot\plugins\qt5.py is hard-coded to
> use
> Python 2.7's path when configuring and making, and installing qt5.
>>
>> On Windows it will use the registry - it doesn't need to be on PATH.
>
> I see that it's trying to look into the registry to see where the
> Python
> 2.7 install directory is.  The problem is that I don't have Python 2.7
> installed, so it's failing.  My questions was, is there some reason
> that
> it's hard-coded to 2.7?  If I made edits to the file above to hard-code
> it
> to 'C:\python35', for example, would that work?  Or does it require 2.7
> for
> some reason?
>

>> > Why does building Qt5 require Python 2.7 to be on the PATH?  Especially
> when pyqtdeploy requires Python 3.3 or later?  I didn't think that
> building
> Qt5 required Python in any way at all.
>> It does. I think it's just one module and I can't remember which one
> offhand.
>
> After some searching, I found this:
> http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/windows-requirements.html  .. It says it requires
> Python when building under Windows, but that's all it says.  Are you
> implying that it requires Python 2.7 specifically?

Yes.

Phil