python ImageTk.PhotoImage - segfault

Jonathan Zwart
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help with my segfault question on running tkinter on a Mac:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9142786/python-imagetk-photoimage-segfault

Many thanks,

Jonathan Zwart

Re: python ImageTk.PhotoImage - segfault

Kevin Walzer-5
On 2/10/12 6:38 AM, Jonathan Zwart wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder if anyone can help with my segfault question on running tkinter
> on a Mac:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9142786/python-imagetk-photoimage-segfault
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Jonathan Zwart

Usually a segfault produces a crash log somewhere. Can you post the
contents of it?

This is using effbot's PIL library, correct, and not Tk's standard image
support (or TkImg library)?

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin

Re: python ImageTk.PhotoImage - segfault

Jonathan Zwart
On 2/10/12 6:38 AM, Jonathan Zwart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if anyone can help with my segfault question on running tkinter
> on a Mac:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9142786/python-imagetk-photoimage-segfault
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Jonathan Zwart
Usually a segfault produces a crash log somewhere. Can you post the
contents of it?
This is using effbot's PIL library, correct, and not Tk's standard image
support (or TkImg library)?

I don't know how even to answer either of those questions. Most grateful for all advice.

Jonathan

Re: python ImageTk.PhotoImage - segfault

Michael Lange
Hi,

Thus spoketh Jonathan Zwart <[hidden email]>
unto us on Fri, 10 Feb 2012 18:39:54 +0200:

> > On 2/10/12 6:38 AM, Jonathan Zwart wrote:
> > >* Hi,
> > *>
> > >* I wonder if anyone can help with my segfault question on running
> > tkinter
> > *>* on a Mac:
> > *>
> > >*
> > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9142786/python-imagetk-photoimage-segfault
> > *>
> > >* Many thanks,
> > *>
> > >* Jonathan Zwart
> > * Usually a segfault produces a crash log somewhere. Can you post the
> > contents of it?
> > This is using effbot's PIL library, correct, and not Tk's standard
> > image support (or TkImg library)?
>

> I don't know how even to answer either of those questions. Most grateful
> for all advice.

looks like the answer to question #2 is obviously "yes".
Unfortunately I don't know about the Mac, so I cannot help much with
question #1.

So it is just a guess:
maybe you are using a PIL version that has been compiled for a
different Python and/or Tk version than you actually are tryimng to use?
Since the segfault seems to occur immediately after the PhotoImage is
created, maybe it is a Tk-incompatibility rather than one with Python,
but again, it is of course just guessed.

So can you tell us which exact Python, Tk and PIL versions are in use and
are these the default ones on your system or custom installs and do you
have multiple versions of any of these installed?

Regards

Michael

.-.. .. ...- .   .-.. --- -. --.   .- -. -..   .--. .-. --- ... .--. . .-.

Either one of us, by himself, is expendable.  Both of us are not.
                -- Kirk, "The Devil in the Dark", stardate 3196.1

Re: python ImageTk.PhotoImage - segfault

Jonathan Zwart
>looks like the answer to question #2 is obviously "yes".
>Unfortunately I don't know about the Mac, so I cannot help much with
>question #1.

>So it is just a guess:
>maybe you are using a PIL version that has been compiled for a
>different Python and/or Tk version than you actually are tryimng to use?
>Since the segfault seems to occur immediately after the PhotoImage is
>created, maybe it is a Tk-incompatibility rather than one with Python,
>but again, it is of course just guessed.

>So can you tell us which exact Python, Tk and PIL versions are in use and
>are these the default ones on your system or custom installs and do you
>have multiple versions of any of these installed?
I've upgraded to EDP 7.2-2, but the segfault still happens. So the versions are (see http://www.enthought.com/products/epdlibraries.php):
python 2.7.2
PIL 1.1.7
Tk is I believe part of the Standard Library.
There are other versions of python on my system but as far as I know EDP is self-contained. The EDP installation is the default.
Can anyone else reproduce this?
Jon Zwart