python.el (from gnu emacs) vs python-mode.el

python.el (from gnu emacs) vs python-mode.el

Brendan Miller-5
What features does python-mode.el have above the version of python.el
that is included in GNU emacs? How do they compare?

I recently tried to get ipython.el working, and found it had a
dependency on python-mode.el... This has prompted me to wonder what
the real differences between these modes are.

Does ropemacs work with python-mode.el?

Re: python.el (from gnu emacs) vs python-mode.el

Andreas Röhler-2
Am 22.10.2011 22:24, schrieb Brendan Miller:
> What features does python-mode.el have above the version of python.el
> that is included in GNU emacs? How do they compare?

"M-x py- TAB" displays a buffer with commands implemented by python-mode.el

resp. "M-x python-" TAB for python.el

As command names are self-explaining, you should get a kind of review
that way.

as for features provided lately, have a look at the
"Announcements"-section at

https://launchpad.net/python-mode

> I recently tried to get ipython.el working, and found it had a
> dependency on python-mode.el...

stuff from ipython.el has been merged into python-mode.el

Just do M-x ipython

This has prompted me to wonder what
> the real differences between these modes are.
>
> Does ropemacs work with python-mode.el?

Please put this question in

https://answers.launchpad.net/python-mode

As other people might have that question too, that will be helpful.

Thanks,

Andreas

--
https://launchpad.net/python-mode
https://launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

Re: python.el (from gnu emacs) vs python-mode.el

Tom Roche

Brendan Miller Sat, 22 Oct 2011 13:24:13 -0700
> How do [python-mode.el and python.el] compare?

This may be irrelevant to you, and may be wrong, but my impression is that

1 the difference between the two that I find most significant is,
  python-mode.el is under much more active development than python.el.

2 as you note, currently (hopefully not much longer), python.el is
  officially supported by GNU and python-mode.el is not. My impression
  regarding that (which again could be horribly wrong) is, this is a
  remnant of the "Emacs Schism" (see the Emacs wiki for more info),
  and the fact that python-mode.el originally developed on XEmacs.

HTH, Tom Roche <[hidden email]>, using python-mode.el on GNU Emacs