Quantcast

python-mode.el 6.0 released

Andreas Röhler-2
Hi all,

proudly announcing the release of

python-mode.el 6.0 at

http://launchpad.net/python-mode/trunk/6.0/+download/python-mode-6.0.tgz

It comes with some new commands, as shown below for
`mark':

py-mark-statement
py-mark-block
py-mark-block-or-clause
py-mark-def
py-mark-def-or-class
py-mark-class
py-mark-clause

Resp. delete, copy, jump to beginning and end
of python-programming-expressions.

Also a couple of bugfixes are done based on a new core.

Thanks to Barry and all assisting.

Please file bug-reports at

https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-mode

Maybe have a look at next Milestone 6.0.1

https://launchpad.net/python-mode/+milestone/6.0.1

outlining intended developing.

Cheers,

Andreas

--
https://launchpad.net/python-mode
https://launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

Re: python-mode.el 6.0 released

Glenn Linderman-3
On 7/23/2011 9:48 AM, Andreas Röhler wrote:
Hi all,

proudly announcing the release of

python-mode.el 6.0 at

http://launchpad.net/python-mode/trunk/6.0/+download/python-mode-6.0.tgz

Installation instructions?

Seems like the prior python-mode was just a single file, so pretty straightforward, unpack to d:\somewhere, and then in the emacs rc:

(add-to-list 'load-path "d:/somewhere")
(autoload 'python-mode "python-mode" "Python Mode." t)

The new one has lots of files, not sure what to do with them... anyway, did the same as above, and get the following error:

Error in menu-bar-update-hook: (void-function region-active-p)

Gnu Emacs 22.1.1 here.  I'd upgrade to a newer Emacs, but last time I tried, the "better Unicode support" was actually worse.  (Trying to open files with Unicode names, and trying to paste in Unicode text from AutoHotKey.)

Am 23.07.2011 20:30, schrieb Glenn Linderman:

> On 7/23/2011 9:48 AM, Andreas Röhler wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> proudly announcing the release of
>>
>> python-mode.el 6.0 at
>>
>> http://launchpad.net/python-mode/trunk/6.0/+download/python-mode-6.0.tgz
>
> Installation instructions?

nothing changed in this respect. python-mode.el should work stand-alone
as the previous one.

> Seems like the prior python-mode was just a single file, so pretty
> straightforward, unpack to d:\somewhere, and then in the emacs rc:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "d:/somewhere")
> (autoload 'python-mode "python-mode" "Python Mode." t)

make sure python-mode.el is earlier in path than python.el

there are some known hassles, because both modes calling them "python-mode"

> The new one has lots of files, not sure what to do with them...

have a look into the README

  anyway,
> did the same as above, and get the following error:
>

> Error in menu-bar-update-hook: (void-function region-active-p)

thanks, will fix this

for the moment please use:

(unless (featurep 'xemacs)
   (defun region-active-p ()
     "and mark-active transient-mark-mode
  (not (eq (region-beginning) (region-end)"
     (and mark-active transient-mark-mode
          (not (eq (condition-case nil (region-beginning)(error nil))

  Gnu Emacs 22.1.1 here. I'd upgrade to a newer Emacs, but last time I
> tried, the "better Unicode support" was actually worse. (Trying to open
> files with Unicode names, and trying to paste in Unicode text from
> AutoHotKey.)

Doesn't meet my experience. We are on Emacs23.3 which is the best Emacs
ever IMHO.

Andreas

Re: python-mode.el 6.0 released

Felipe Reyes-2

On Jul 23, 2011 12:49 PM, "Andreas Röhler" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> proudly announcing the release of
>
> python-mode.el 6.0 at
>
> http://launchpad.net/python-mode/trunk/6.0/+download/python-mode-6.0.tgz

Congratulations, thanks to all the developers for giving us a new python-mode version

On 7/23/2011 11:59 AM, Andreas Röhler wrote:
Am 23.07.2011 20:30, schrieb Glenn Linderman:
On 7/23/2011 9:48 AM, Andreas Röhler wrote:
Hi all,

proudly announcing the release of

python-mode.el 6.0 at

http://launchpad.net/python-mode/trunk/6.0/+download/python-mode-6.0.tgz

Installation instructions?

nothing changed in this respect. python-mode.el should work stand-alone as the previous one.

Seems like the prior python-mode was just a single file, so pretty
straightforward, unpack to d:\somewhere, and then in the emacs rc:

(add-to-list 'load-path "d:/somewhere")
(autoload 'python-mode "python-mode" "Python Mode." t)

make sure python-mode.el is earlier in path than python.el

Does add-to-list do that?  Or do I need something else?

there are some known hassles, because both modes calling them "python-mode"

The new one has lots of files, not sure what to do with them...

have a look into the README

Not explained whether I can keep only python-mode.el or if I need some of the other files nearby to make it work.  Could experiment, I suppose.  For the moment, I just left them all there.

 anyway,
did the same as above, and get the following error:

Error in menu-bar-update-hook: (void-function region-active-p)

thanks, will fix this

for the moment please use:

(unless (featurep 'xemacs)
  (defun region-active-p ()
    "and mark-active transient-mark-mode
 (not (eq (region-beginning) (region-end)"
    (and mark-active transient-mark-mode
         (not (eq (condition-case nil (region-beginning)(error nil))

Where?

 Gnu Emacs 22.1.1 here. I'd upgrade to a newer Emacs, but last time I
tried, the "better Unicode support" was actually worse. (Trying to open
files with Unicode names, and trying to paste in Unicode text from
AutoHotKey.)

Doesn't meet my experience. We are on Emacs23.3 which is the best Emacs ever IMHO.

Glad it is working for you, but it isn't for me.  I offer the following description of the problem, but of course it is not a problem with python-mode.  But it will serve to explain why my attempts to use 23.1 some time back and 23.3 today, have failed.

Re: python-mode.el 6.0 released

Andreas Röhler-2

>>> Seems like the prior python-mode was just a single file, so pretty
>>> straightforward, unpack to d:\somewhere, and then in the emacs rc:
>>>
>>> (add-to-list 'load-path "d:/somewhere")
>>> (autoload 'python-mode "python-mode" "Python Mode." t)
>>
>> make sure python-mode.el is earlier in path than python.el
>

> Does add-to-list do that?

Good question. M-x describe-variable RET load-path should tell you.

As for the issues with python.el think the simplest solution in question
is to load it directly.

(load "MYPATH/python-mode.el")

  Or do I need something else?

python-mode.el should not need anything else.

[ ... ]

>> Doesn't meet my experience. We are on Emacs23.3 which is the best
>> Emacs ever IMHO.
>
> Glad it is working for you, but it isn't for me. I offer the following
> description of the problem, but of course it is not a problem with
> python-mode. But it will serve to explain why my attempts to use 23.1
> some time back and 23.3 today, have failed.
>
> None of Emacs 22.1.1 through 23.3 will open files on Windows containing
> certain characters in their names, partly because the name can't be
> typed properly, but it doesn't even work to drag files with those names
> into emacs. Probably an issue that is specific to Windows. Those same
> characters produce some weird error "<packet> is undefined" when certain
> characters are pasted into Emacs by Autohotkey, using at least
> 23.1-23.3. 22.1.1 doesn't produce the <packet> error, so is friendlier
> to those characters. Probably another issue that is unique to Windows
> and/or AutoHotKey interaction. I've tried reporting the <packet> error,
> and eventually someone responded to the email, but I never figured out a
> way to check on the status of a ticket, or figure out when or if it will
> be included in a production version of emacs. As I use AutoHotKey macros
> to generate non-ASCII symbols using an English keyboard, it is critical
> to my ability to use Unicode characters, and not being able to enter
> them using emacs makes such versions of emacs useless to me. I have
> never learned Emacs lisp, which is usually not a major problem in simply
> using Emacs, and I can copy/paste "helpful tricks" from various web
> sites for customization. But this is beyond my capabilities to analyze,
> so I may be stuck on emacs 22.1.1 until someone can fix the problem or
> until I have to give up emacs because 22.1.1 no longer works on some
> future version of Windows.

Please write a bug report. Also posting on the emacs-help might be useful.

Andreas

On 7/23/2011 1:23 PM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

Seems like the prior python-mode was just a single file, so pretty
straightforward, unpack to d:\somewhere, and then in the emacs rc:

(add-to-list 'load-path "d:/somewhere")
(autoload 'python-mode "python-mode" "Python Mode." t)

make sure python-mode.el is earlier in path than python.el

Does add-to-list do that?

Good question. M-x describe-variable RET load-path should tell you.

As for the issues with python.el think the simplest solution in question is to load it directly.

(load "MYPATH/python-mode.el")

 Or do I need something else?

python-mode.el should not need anything else.

Thanks.  Seems add-to-list puts it in the front.  Guess there is no harm in having the rest sit there unused...

[ ... ]

[...]

Thanks for your suggestions here, I know it is out of scope for python-mode.  But reporting the bug in emacs 3 years ago, and the deficiencies of that process from a user perspective, do not encourage following the process again... I was hoping there might be some other interface to the process that I overlooked, or which augments the process whose documentation I was able to find, and, with great effort, follow.

So, I did write a bug report email for this exact issue, for emacs 23.1, 3 years ago.  But I have no way to check its status.  Is there a different interface?  The bug report email stuff doesn't work very well on Windows, I had to generate it to a file, and then send the file (or something weird, it has been 3 years since I reported it first, and I've maybe forgotten the details).  Where is the best way to send the bug report?  That way didn't seem to produce much response, and certainly not a response that I can monitor for status in any way.... and the problem still exists 3 years later.  Pretty sad.

What is the "emacs-help" and how does one post on it?  Is that a newsgroup, an emacs feature, or a web site, or something else?

I did spend some time today upgrading my AutoHotKey to the latest version, but it produces the same effect in emacs 23.3 as the 3-year-old version I was using had produced in emacs 23.1 when I tested it... "<packet> is undefined".  But that "<packet>" seems to work for every other program I use the AutoHotKey features with... so it (still) seems more likely to be an Emacs issue than an AutoHotKey issue.

Andreas

Re: python-mode.el 6.0 released

Andreas Röhler-2

>> Please write a bug report. Also posting on the emacs-help might be
>> useful.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions here, I know it is out of scope for
> python-mode. But reporting the bug in emacs 3 years ago, and the
> deficiencies of that process from a user perspective, do not encourage
> following the process again...

Please take in consideration the tremendous work the Emacs
core-developers are delivering. Have a look at what you get from it and
ask where it's coming from. From my perspective these people deserve our
assistance and patience likewise.

http://debbugs.gnu.org/

  Is there a different

> interface? The bug report email stuff doesn't work very well on Windows,
> I had to generate it to a file, and then send the file (or something
> weird, it has been 3 years since I reported it first, and I've maybe
> forgotten the details). Where is the best way to send the bug report?
> That way didn't seem to produce much response, and certainly not a
> response that I can monitor for status in any way.... and the problem
> still exists 3 years later. Pretty sad.
>
> What is the "emacs-help" and how does one post on it? Is that a
> newsgroup, an emacs feature, or a web site, or something else?

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/

Andreas

On 7/23/2011 11:34 PM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

Please write a bug report. Also posting on the emacs-help might be
useful.

Thanks for your suggestions here, I know it is out of scope for
python-mode. But reporting the bug in emacs 3 years ago, and the
deficiencies of that process from a user perspective, do not encourage
following the process again...

Please take in consideration the tremendous work the Emacs core-developers are delivering. Have a look at what you get from it and ask where it's coming from. From my perspective these people deserve our assistance and patience likewise.

Sure, it's a great program.  I've been using it for at least 20 years!  Unicode didn't exist back then.  This is the first time they've delivered a new feature that doesn't work... sadly.  But I can understand that converting a program that didn't use Unicode, to use Unicode, is a huge effort.  On the other hand, there are lots of bug trackers floating around, and the process I found in the documentation is severely brain-damaged on Windows.... but... reading on....

I was hoping there might be some other
interface to the process that I overlooked, or which augments the
process whose documentation I was able to find, and, with great effort,
follow.

So, I did write a bug report email for this exact issue, for emacs 23.1,
3 years ago. But I have no way to check its status.

http://debbugs.gnu.org/

This looks promising :)  I don't need to learn why I didn't find it from reading the docs, I guess.  On the other hand, maybe it is new, since I last looked.  Seems it is still all email based, and no obvious way to add status to the bug via this interface... maybe via email?  Anyway, the problem with not opening files containing particular characters in their names is reported, and open, so perhaps someday that will get fixed.

The problem with "<packet> is invalid" I cannot find record of in the bug tracker, but ...

 Is there a different
interface? The bug report email stuff doesn't work very well on Windows,
I had to generate it to a file, and then send the file (or something
weird, it has been 3 years since I reported it first, and I've maybe
forgotten the details). Where is the best way to send the bug report?
That way didn't seem to produce much response, and certainly not a
response that I can monitor for status in any way.... and the problem
still exists 3 years later. Pretty sad.

What is the "emacs-help" and how does one post on it? Is that a
newsgroup, an emacs feature, or a web site, or something else?

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/

It is findable here, as thread:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2009-08/msg00720.html

Andreas

Anyway, thanks for you help locating the bug tracker, such as it is.  Happily, I don't actually edit huge numbers of files containing accented characters in their names or contents, at least, not the ones that emacs doesn't properly handle.   But it is surely painful when I do... and even more painful when I try to do it with emacs 23.x.

Re: python-mode.el 6.0 released

Andreas Röhler-2

> Sure, it's a great program. I've been using it for at least 20 years!
> Unicode didn't exist back then. This is the first time they've delivered
> a new feature that doesn't work... sadly. But I can understand that
> converting a program that didn't use Unicode, to use Unicode, is a huge
> effort. On the other hand, there are lots of bug trackers floating
> around, and the process I found in the documentation is severely
> brain-damaged on Windows....

M-x report-emacs-bug RET

should deliver all info you need.
Just follow instruction which are auto-inserted.
When the report is finished, save the mail.

Re-open you windows-mailer, paste the file in and send to address which
was auto-inserted.

That's the way at least I would do.

HTH,

Andreas

Re: python-mode.el 6.0 released

Barry Warsaw
On Jul 23, 2011, at 06:48 PM, Andreas Röhler wrote:
>proudly announcing the release of
>
>python-mode.el 6.0 at
>
>http://launchpad.net/python-mode/trunk/6.0/+download/python-mode-6.0.tgz

Congratulations Andreas!

-Barry

Re: python-mode.el 6.0 released

François Pinard
Andreas Röhler <[hidden email]> writes:

>>> make sure python-mode.el is earlier in path than python.el

>> Does add-to-list do that?

> Good question. M-x describe-variable RET load-path should tell you.

While I understand Andreas reply, we should not loose sight that Python
users do not necessarily want to know that much about Emacs.  There is a
quite a long way between starting Emacs to edit Python code, and knowing
about Emacs variables, discovering M-x functions like describe-variable
(there are so many of these functions, and so many ways to get help),
and load-path details.

To develop python-mode, knowing Emacs more deeply is inescapable. To use
python-mode, we should expect about nothing from user knowledge about
Emacs Lisp.

So, for any basic "good question", this is python-mode's README that
should tell you.  It should be sufficient to get fully started.

François

Am 27.01.2012 05:44, schrieb François Pinard:

>>> Does add-to-list do that?
>
>> Good question. M-x describe-variable RET load-path should tell you.
>
> While I understand Andreas reply, we should not loose sight that Python
> users do not necessarily want to know that much about Emacs.  There is a
> quite a long way between starting Emacs to edit Python code, and knowing
> about Emacs variables, discovering M-x functions like describe-variable
> (there are so many of these functions, and so many ways to get help),
> and load-path details.
>
> To develop python-mode, knowing Emacs more deeply is inescapable. To use
> python-mode, we should expect about nothing from user knowledge about
> Emacs Lisp.
>
> So, for any basic "good question", this is python-mode's README that
> should tell you.  It should be sufficient to get fully started.
>
> François

will add that onto

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/python-mode/+spec/features

Thanks,