python-mode for Debian GNU/Linux distribution

python-mode for Debian GNU/Linux distribution

Yaroslav Halchenko-5
Hi to All,

I am new to the list, so few words about me... I am just one in the army
of Debian developers and maintainers, I also look at human brains on a
daily basis,  and I have 2 kids and a wife ;) and as you could guess --
I am developing in Python and live in emacs.

I decided to take over python-mode package in Debian, which was
previously maintained by Matthias Klose.  Since the open bug-count and
outdatedness of the package in Debian grew to the level of my personal
threshold, I decided to sacrifice some time and reincarnate the package
with your fresh release.

I hope you would not mind few questions I have, and if you are
interested in the refreshed Debian package -- read on below

Questions
---------

I see that people are actively engaged in the discussion of the future
of python.el and python-mode.el, but I hope someone would be able to
clarify just few questions to me which I've not got cleared-out

1. what entity or a person is currently a copyright holder for python-mode?

python-mode.el lists:

,--
| ;; Copyright (C) 1992,1993,1994  Tim Peters
|
| ;; Author: 2003-2009 https://launchpad.net/python-mode
| ;;         1995-2002 Barry A. Warsaw
| ;;         1992-1994 Tim Peters
`---

so, there is no copyright statements since 1994... I see that multiple
people contributed:

$> git shortlog -n -s python-mode.el
   247  bwarsaw
    32  montanaro
     9  Barry Warsaw
     9  klm

so there are at least 3 persons (after Tim) who contributed, are they all
copyright holders, or it was transfered to Barry?

I know that you are discussing about transferring copyright to FSF, but I
wonder what is the current list of the copyright holders in the main trunk?

2. I guess respective authors are copyright holders of pycomplete* and doctest*
  files (and license is BSD), right?

Debian packaging
----------------

If you are interested in the packaging I've done:
I have prepared first tentative version of the package, which based on
 * previous packaging done by Matthias
 * current release which is present in your bzr trunk branch.

Unfortunately I have no clue in bzr, and I am a git user, hence I cloned
your bzr repository using git-bzr, and hope that it will work in the future for
incremental updates ;-)

You can see my repository of the tentative package at

http://git.onerussian.com/?p=deb/python-mode.git;a=summary
(or if you like to clone it, use
 git clone http://git.onerussian.com/vcs/deb/python-mode.git)

'master' branch (as well as bzr/upstream) should correspond to your development
branch, branch 'upstream' is just a 'filtered' version of master, which I based
actually on the tarballs which were present in debian versions of the package.
So it is what you have in trunk but without website (I guess there is no reason
to distribute it atm for Debian users. And branch debian is actual debian
packaging on top of 'upstream' branch.

Tentative package is available from
http://itanix.rutgers.edu/rumba/dists/sid/perspect/binary-all/python/python-mode_5.1.0-1~pre1_all.deb

As soon as 'copyright' is clarified I will upload package into Debian sid
(unstable), which should close at least 7 bug reports opened in bugs.debian.org.

any comments and wishes are welcome
--
                                  .-.

Re: python-mode for Debian GNU/Linux distribution

Barry Warsaw

On Feb 1, 2009, at 2:36 PM, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

> I am new to the list, so few words about me... I am just one in the
> army
> of Debian developers and maintainers, I also look at human brains on a
> daily basis,  and I have 2 kids and a wife ;) and as you could guess
> --
> I am developing in Python and live in emacs.

Kids and wives will do that to you.  I have one of each, which is
probably why I use Python and Emacs too.  I don't look at human brains
on a /daily/ basis, but just whenever the opportunity arises.  Human
minds, well, that's a different story.

> I decided to take over python-mode package in Debian, which was
> previously maintained by Matthias Klose.  Since the open bug-count and
> outdatedness of the package in Debian grew to the level of my personal
> threshold, I decided to sacrifice some time and reincarnate the
> package
> with your fresh release.

Fantastic!  Thanks.

> I hope you would not mind few questions I have, and if you are
> interested in the refreshed Debian package -- read on below
>
> Questions
> ---------
>
> I see that people are actively engaged in the discussion of the future
> of python.el and python-mode.el, but I hope someone would be able to
> clarify just few questions to me which I've not got cleared-out
>
> 1. what entity or a person is currently a copyright holder for
> python-mode?
>
> python-mode.el lists:
>
> ,--
> | ;; Copyright (C) 1992,1993,1994  Tim Peters
> |
> | ;; Author: 2003-2009 https://launchpad.net/python-mode
> | ;;         1995-2002 Barry A. Warsaw
> | ;;         1992-1994 Tim Peters
> `---
>
> so, there is no copyright statements since 1994... I see that multiple
> people contributed:
>
> $> git shortlog -n -s python-mode.el
>   247  bwarsaw
>    32  montanaro
>     9  Barry Warsaw
>     9  klm
>
> so there are at least 3 persons (after Tim) who contributed, are
> they all
> copyright holders, or it was transfered to Barry?
>
> I know that you are discussing about transferring copyright to FSF,
> but I
> wonder what is the current list of the copyright holders in the main
> trunk?

I would say that that is a very murky question.  It's probably about
as well understood as the copyright ownership of XEmacs.

> 2. I guess respective authors are copyright holders of pycomplete*
> and doctest*
>  files (and license is BSD), right?

See above.  Nobody objected to my call to GPLv3 the file, so I did
that.  I think that's the best answer we're ever likely to get for
this file.

> Debian packaging
> ----------------
>
> If you are interested in the packaging I've done:
> I have prepared first tentative version of the package, which based on
> * previous packaging done by Matthias
> * current release which is present in your bzr trunk branch.
>
> Unfortunately I have no clue in bzr, and I am a git user, hence I
> cloned
> your bzr repository using git-bzr, and hope that it will work in the
> future for
> incremental updates ;-)

I'm not a git user, so if you can translate changes back into bzr and
push branches to Launchpad, that would be idea.  Hopefully git-bzr can
do that.  If not, patches will have to do.

> You can see my repository of the tentative package at
>
> http://git.onerussian.com/?p=deb/python-mode.git;a=summary
> (or if you like to clone it, use
> git clone http://git.onerussian.com/vcs/deb/python-mode.git)
>
> 'master' branch (as well as bzr/upstream) should correspond to your
> development
> branch, branch 'upstream' is just a 'filtered' version of master,
> which I based
> actually on the tarballs which were present in debian versions of
> the package.
> So it is what you have in trunk but without website (I guess there
> is no reason
> to distribute it atm for Debian users. And branch debian is actual
> debian
> packaging on top of 'upstream' branch.
>
> Tentative package is available from
> http://itanix.rutgers.edu/rumba/dists/sid/perspect/binary-all/python/python-mode_5.1.0-1
> ~pre1_all.deb
>
> As soon as 'copyright' is clarified I will upload package into
> Debian sid
> (unstable), which should close at least 7 bug reports opened in
> bugs.debian.org.
>
> any comments and wishes are welcome

Hope the above helps.
Barry

Re: python-mode for Debian GNU/Linux distribution

Yaroslav Halchenko-5
> Kids and wives will do that to you.  I have one of each, which is
> probably why I use Python and Emacs too.  I don't look at human brains
> on a /daily/ basis, but just whenever the opportunity arises.  Human
> minds, well, that's a different story.

LOL ;-) human minds are indeed a different topic, although some people
think they know the 'Theory of Mind' [1] (although it is just a loud
name for smth which should have been named "Theory of Mine" at best ;-))

> > I know that you are discussing about transferring copyright to FSF,
> > but I
> > wonder what is the current list of the copyright holders in the main
> > trunk?
> I would say that that is a very murky question.  It's probably about
> as well understood as the copyright ownership of XEmacs.

hm... then I am not sure how you could talk about transferring copyright
to FSF if it is not even vaguely known who owns copyrights over current
code? I guess, all your contributions are copyright by you (or should it
be Canonical?), and pardon my ignorance -- who is klm?

may be for now I could simply list all 4 of you (including Tim) as
copyright holders (and will lookup dates for those two in the logs)

> > 2. I guess respective authors are copyright holders of pycomplete*
> > and doctest*
> >  files (and license is BSD), right?

> See above.  Nobody objected to my call to GPLv3 the file, so I did
> that.  I think that's the best answer we're ever likely to get for
> this file.

right -- but that is for python-mode.el, and was I right about those
pycomplete.* and doctest* files present in the repository (and shipped
in the debian package)?

> > your bzr repository using git-bzr, and hope that it will work in the
> > future for
> > incremental updates ;-)
> I'm not a git user, so if you can translate changes back into bzr and
> push branches to Launchpad, that would be idea.  Hopefully git-bzr can
> do that.  If not, patches will have to do.
yeah -- I will check it out if it is anyhow possible to push my new
branches (debian at least) into bzr. Otherwise, since I've not patched
actual code (just packaging), I have nothing to contribute to
trunk python-mode.el.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_mind

--
                                  .-.

On Feb 2, 2009, at 10:47 AM, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

>> Kids and wives will do that to you.  I have one of each, which is
>> probably why I use Python and Emacs too.  I don't look at human
>> brains
>> on a /daily/ basis, but just whenever the opportunity arises.  Human
>> minds, well, that's a different story.
>
> LOL ;-) human minds are indeed a different topic, although some people
> think they know the 'Theory of Mind' [1] (although it is just a loud
> name for smth which should have been named "Theory of Mine" at
> best ;-))

Okay, we'll leave that for another thread. :)

>>> I know that you are discussing about transferring copyright to FSF,
>>> but I
>>> wonder what is the current list of the copyright holders in the main
>>> trunk?
>> I would say that that is a very murky question.  It's probably about
>> as well understood as the copyright ownership of XEmacs.
>
> hm... then I am not sure how you could talk about transferring
> copyright
> to FSF if it is not even vaguely known who owns copyrights over
> current
> code? I guess, all your contributions are copyright by you (or
> should it
> be Canonical?), and pardon my ignorance -- who is klm?

Canonical does not own my changes to python-mode.el.  I am merely
offering to transfer the copyright to my changes to the FSF.  I
clearly can't do that for changes other people have contributed to the
file.

Perhaps I should just disclaim my changes.

klm is Ken Manheimer.

> may be for now I could simply list all 4 of you (including Tim) as
> copyright holders (and will lookup dates for those two in the logs)

Sure, why not.

>>> 2. I guess respective authors are copyright holders of pycomplete*
>>> and doctest*
>>> files (and license is BSD), right?
>
>> See above.  Nobody objected to my call to GPLv3 the file, so I did
>> that.  I think that's the best answer we're ever likely to get for
>> this file.
>
> right -- but that is for python-mode.el, and was I right about those
> pycomplete.* and doctest* files present in the repository (and shipped
> in the debian package)?

I don't recall touching those files.  Without looking through the
history, I can't say more about them.

>>> your bzr repository using git-bzr, and hope that it will work in the
>>> future for
>>> incremental updates ;-)
>> I'm not a git user, so if you can translate changes back into bzr and
>> push branches to Launchpad, that would be idea.  Hopefully git-bzr
>> can
>> do that.  If not, patches will have to do.
> yeah -- I will check it out if it is anyhow possible to push my new
> branches (debian at least) into bzr. Otherwise, since I've not patched
> actual code (just packaging), I have nothing to contribute to
> trunk python-mode.el.

Cool.
Barry

Re: python-mode for Debian GNU/Linux distribution

Yaroslav Halchenko-5

> Canonical does not own my changes to python-mode.el.  I am merely
> offering to transfer the copyright to my changes to the FSF.  I
> clearly can't do that for changes other people have contributed to the
> file.

> Perhaps I should just disclaim my changes.

> klm is Ken Manheimer.

great -- thanks, that should be sufficient for little me ;-)

--
                                  .-.