Quantcast

question on syntax of 'group' in address-list

question on syntax of 'group' in address-list

R. David Murray
I've gone through the RFCs and done some additional googling,
and haven't been able to confirm the answer to this question: what
exactly is the syntax when a group is included in an address-list? (See
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.4).  The question is, if
another address follows the group, are they separated from each other by
';' or by ';,'?  The ABNF seems to call for the latter, but I can't find
any example showing it.  I'm sure that I should accept both on input,
but I'd like to generate the correct form.  Does anyone have confirmation
or contradiction for my interpretation?

--
R. David Murray           http://www.bitdance.com
Your options: http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/email-sig/lists%40nabble.com

Re: question on syntax of 'group' in address-list

Glenn Linderman-2
On 5/16/2011 1:40 PM, R. David Murray wrote:
I've gone through the RFCs and done some additional googling,
and haven't been able to confirm the answer to this question: what
exactly is the syntax when a group is included in an address-list? (See
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.4).  The question is, if
another address follows the group, are they separated from each other by
';' or by ';,'?  The ABNF seems to call for the latter, but I can't find
any example showing it.  I'm sure that I should accept both on input,
but I'd like to generate the correct form.  Does anyone have confirmation
or contradiction for my interpretation?

The only instance of group syntax that I have ever seen used is when a message has all Bcc: recipients, and the email client wants to stick something into the To: line to be pretty.  I turned that off in my Mozilla email clients after seeing it.  And so in that usage, the group was never used with other recipients.

However, I totally agree that if it were, that the ABNF would call for  both ; and , as the ; is part of the group syntax, and the , is the separator syntax.

Would look rather stupid, though.

--
Glenn
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a

Your options: http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/email-sig/lists%40nabble.com

question on syntax of 'group' in address-list

Stephen J. Turnbull-2
R. David Murray writes:
 > I've gone through the RFCs and done some additional googling,
 > and haven't been able to confirm the answer to this question: what
 > exactly is the syntax when a group is included in an address-list? (See
 > http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.4).  The question is, if
 > another address follows the group, are they separated from each other by
 > ';' or by ';,'?  The ABNF seems to call for the latter, but I can't find
 > any example showing it.  I'm sure that I should accept both on input,

Why?  I mean, YAGNI.

 > but I'd like to generate the correct form.  Does anyone have confirmation
 > or contradiction for my interpretation?

>From RFC 822.  The Cc field contains two groups, separated by ",",
with each group terminated by ";".

A.3.3. About as complex as you're going to get

     Date     :  27 Aug 76 0932 PDT
     From     :  Ken Davis <[hidden email]-net>
     Subject  :  Re: The Syntax in the RFC
     Sender   :  KSecy@Other-Host
     To       :  George Jones <[hidden email]-Org>,
                 [hidden email]
     cc       :  Important folk:
                   Tom Softwood <[hidden email]>,
                   "Sam Irving"@Other-Host;,
                 Standard Distribution:
                   /main/davis/people/standard@Other-Host,
                   "<Jones>standard.dist.3"@Tops-20-Host>;
     Comment  :  Sam is away on business. He asked me to handle
                 his mail for him.  He'll be able to provide  a
                 more  accurate  explanation  when  he  returns
                 next week.

Your options: http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/email-sig/lists%40nabble.com