"Computer Science For Kids" Book Announcement

"Computer Science For Kids" Book Announcement

Andre Lessa
Hey Python Community,

I just self published this brand new book and I'm making its PDF
available for (free) download on my web site.

My goal is to explain some very basic fundamentals of computer science
to kids who are starting to learn about computers at school and/or at
home. For the tiny hints of programming, I referenced Python. If you
(or a kid you know) ends up having access to this book, please send
your feedback (suggestions/corrections) directly to me so I can start
thinking about the next edition and how I can make it even cooler for
kids.

Thanks!
Andre Lessa

You can download the entire book here (no registration required).
"Computer Science For Kids"
http://www.LessaWorld.com/kids/

Re: "Computer Science For Kids" Book Announcement

Mokurai
Not bad. There are things we can improve. For example, a variable is
less like a nickname referring to one thing than a pronoun that can
refer to different things each time it is used. I do not have time
today for a complete review, but I would like to do it sometime soon,
in part because I have a different approach to teaching nine-year-olds
Computer Science, and because I am promoting the idea of replacing
printed textbooks with computers (costing less) and free electronic
learning materials. We don't have a good name for them, because they
are based on software such as Turtle Art or Smalltalk, and are clearly
neither texts nor books.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 00:28, Andre Lessa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Python Community,
>
> I just self published this brand new book and I'm making its PDF
> available for (free) download on my web site.
>
> My goal is to explain some very basic fundamentals of computer science
> to kids who are starting to learn about computers at school and/or at
> home. For the tiny hints of programming, I referenced Python. If you
> (or a kid you know) ends up having access to this book, please send
> your feedback (suggestions/corrections) directly to me so I can start
> thinking about the next edition and how I can make it even cooler for
> kids.
>
> Thanks!
> Andre Lessa
>
> You can download the entire book here (no registration required).
> "Computer Science For Kids"
> http://www.LessaWorld.com/kids/

http://www.earthtreasury.org/

Re: "Computer Science For Kids" Book Announcement

Asheesh Laroia-10
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010, Andre Lessa wrote:

> Hey Python Community,
>
> I just self published this brand new book and I'm making its PDF
> available for (free) download on my web site.
>
> My goal is to explain some very basic fundamentals of computer science
> to kids who are starting to learn about computers at school and/or at
> home. For the tiny hints of programming, I referenced Python. If you
> (or a kid you know) ends up having access to this book, please send
> your feedback (suggestions/corrections) directly to me so I can start
> thinking about the next edition and how I can make it even cooler for
> kids.

I found your math examples confusing. Is it the basketballs or the
*number* of them that we're comparing in
http://www.lessaworld.com/kids/csfk-page13.png ?

I hope that you do some real kid testing and get their feedback!

-- Asheesh.

--
You are deeply attached to your friends and acquaintances.

Re: "Computer Science For Kids" Book Announcement

brookscl
Andre,

Thanks for your efforts putting this together.  As the text stands
right now I'd have a hard time recommending it over CS Unplugged
(http://csunplugged.org/).  You are covering very advanced concepts at
times on a single page, and in some cases I would question the value
of learning that concept in an intro text (threads, network ports,
dictionary data structure).  You use exception notation at times
(try/except) that I think would confuse a beginner audience (why not
just build on the if/then concept?).

Most of the teachers I know that would be candidates for this
(elementary / middle school) would have a hard time teaching from the
text and would need quite a bit of supplemental information to
understand the concept being taught.  I would study the level of
detail you see in the (free, creative commons) CS Unplugged modules to
get a sense for how much needs to be explained to get even basic
concepts across.

Thanks for asking,

Chris Brooks