"Design Decision Needed" is gone. Good riddance.

"Design Decision Needed" is gone. Good riddance.

Jacob Kaplan-Moss-2
Hi folks --

"Design decision needed" is where good tickets go to die. The idea was
that someone could come by later and make the decision, but as it
turns out, Someone doesn't work here. In practice, DDN tickets sat
open, often for years, and just frustrated everyone.

So we're getting rid of DDN; we (mostly Aymeric, thanks!) closed out
all of 'em over the last few weeks, and we're removing the status
today. We're working on updating the contributing docs to reflect this
change.

If you're working on triage, this means that instead of marking a
ticket DDN you should do one of the following:

- Just make the decision yourself. If you're 75% sure that a ticket is
legit, just mark it "accepted" and move on. Likewise, if you're 80%
sure a ticket is invalid, mark it so. Remember that nothing's set in
stone; it's perfectly OK to be wrong. When I talk to people in the
community, most of them tell me that what frustrates them about the
ticket process is inaction. They'd rather have a ticket marked
"wontfix" quickly than have it sit in an indeterminate state for
months or years.

- Find someone else (in #django-dev on IRC is a good bet) who can help
you make a call.

- For "big" features, or tickets that're otherwise hard to act on,
move them to the mailing list for discussion. There's a class of
tickets -- feature additions, usually -- that don't do well on the
ticket tracker. In these cases we need a concrete proposal and/or
patches to be able to make a call correctly, so the right place to
hash that stuff out is here, not in Trac. In these cases, we'll
usually close the ticket until a real concrete proposal emerges.

Thanks, please let me know if you have questions!

Jacob

Re: "Design Decision Needed" is gone. Good riddance.

Lennart Regebro-2
On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Jacob Kaplan-Moss <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks, please let me know if you have questions!

Nope, but a suggestion: Mark new tickets as "easy pickings" by
default. During the sprint I didn't find any ticket that wasn't either
more than a year old (often indeed flagged as DDN) or easy. :-)

//Lennart

Re: "Design Decision Needed" is gone. Good riddance.

Jeremy Dunck
"easy" is for people new to contributing django or to open source in
general.  Your view of "easy" may be different than our intended
meaning. :)

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Lennart Regebro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Jacob Kaplan-Moss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks, please let me know if you have questions!
>
> Nope, but a suggestion: Mark new tickets as "easy pickings" by
> default. During the sprint I didn't find any ticket that wasn't either
> more than a year old (often indeed flagged as DDN) or easy. :-)
>
> //Lennart

Re: "Design Decision Needed" is gone. Good riddance.

Aymeric Augustin
On 8 avr. 2013, at 23:58, Lennart Regebro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Jacob Kaplan-Moss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks, please let me know if you have questions!
>
> Nope, but a suggestion: Mark new tickets as "easy pickings" by
> default. During the sprint I didn't find any ticket that wasn't either
> more than a year old (often indeed flagged as DDN) or easy. :-)

I agree that the "Easy pickings" flag doesn't work so well. When
an easy ticket that stays open for more than a few weeks, it isn't
actually easy.

At sprints, I often suggest to browse Trac by component. With
the exception of the ORM and the admin, such queries return a
manageable and consistent set of tickets, making it easier to
locate something to work on.

--
Aymeric.

Re: "Design Decision Needed" is gone. Good riddance.

Russell Keith-Magee-4

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 6:11 AM, Aymeric Augustin <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 8 avr. 2013, at 23:58, Lennart Regebro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Jacob Kaplan-Moss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks, please let me know if you have questions!
>
> Nope, but a suggestion: Mark new tickets as "easy pickings" by
> default. During the sprint I didn't find any ticket that wasn't either
> more than a year old (often indeed flagged as DDN) or easy. :-)

I agree that the "Easy pickings" flag doesn't work so well. When
an easy ticket that stays open for more than a few weeks, it isn't
actually easy.

True - but for those couple of weeks, it's a very useful marker for contributors looking for something that has been pre qualified as being simple to work on. That's a useful distinction to make, because it separates those tickets from the hundreds of candidates.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:02 AM, Jeremy Dunck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> "easy" is for people new to contributing django or to open source in
> general.  Your view of "easy" may be different than our intended
> meaning. :)

Well, fair enough. :-) Maybe I can say it like this: I found that
those with easy pickings were generally of the same class as those
without.

But I could be wrong of course.

//Lennart