"What's New" for all versions

Robert Kern-2
Whenever I have to look for when a feature was introduced, I go looking at the
"What's New in Python 2.x" pages. Since the documentation for Python 2.x only
contains the "What's New in Python 2.x" and none of the earlier parts, this
becomes fairly tedious if I guess the version wrong. I'd really like to see all
of the older "What's New" pages in the current Python version's documentation.
There should be a single ToC page collating the ToCs for all of the "What's New"
versions. I don't think it should replace the current ToC, but I think it should
exist.

I don't have time to work on this immediately, so I thought I would throw it out
there to see if there's any interest.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco

Re: "What's New" for all versions

Martin Blais-2
On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 14:12:50 -0500, "Robert Kern"
<[hidden email]> said:

> Whenever I have to look for when a feature was introduced, I go looking
> at the
> "What's New in Python 2.x" pages. Since the documentation for Python 2.x
> only
> contains the "What's New in Python 2.x" and none of the earlier parts,
> this
> becomes fairly tedious if I guess the version wrong. I'd really like to
> see all
> of the older "What's New" pages in the current Python version's
> documentation.
> There should be a single ToC page collating the ToCs for all of the
> "What's New"
> versions. I don't think it should replace the current ToC, but I think it
> should
> exist.
>
> I don't have time to work on this immediately, so I thought I would throw
> it out
> there to see if there's any interest.

+1 on Robert's idea.
I always end up bricolating some summary of the new changes for myself.
It would be nice if it were just there.

Re: "What's New" for all versions

Georg Brandl-2
Martin Blais schrieb:

> On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 14:12:50 -0500, "Robert Kern"
> <[hidden email]> said:
>> Whenever I have to look for when a feature was introduced, I go looking
>> at the
>> "What's New in Python 2.x" pages. Since the documentation for Python 2.x
>> only
>> contains the "What's New in Python 2.x" and none of the earlier parts,
>> this
>> becomes fairly tedious if I guess the version wrong. I'd really like to
>> see all
>> of the older "What's New" pages in the current Python version's
>> documentation.
>> There should be a single ToC page collating the ToCs for all of the
>> "What's New"
>> versions. I don't think it should replace the current ToC, but I think it
>> should
>> exist.
>>
>> I don't have time to work on this immediately, so I thought I would throw
>> it out
>> there to see if there's any interest.
>
> +1 on Robert's idea.
> I always end up bricolating some summary of the new changes for myself.
> It would be nice if it were just there.

I've now changed the templates a bit to make all "What's new" documents
accessible. This should be live on docs.python.org soon.

Georg

Georg Brandl wrote:

> Martin Blais schrieb:
>> On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 14:12:50 -0500, "Robert Kern"
>> <[hidden email]> said:
>>> Whenever I have to look for when a feature was introduced, I go looking
>>> at the
>>> "What's New in Python 2.x" pages. Since the documentation for Python 2.x
>>> only
>>> contains the "What's New in Python 2.x" and none of the earlier parts,
>>> this
>>> becomes fairly tedious if I guess the version wrong. I'd really like to
>>> see all
>>> of the older "What's New" pages in the current Python version's
>>> documentation.
>>> There should be a single ToC page collating the ToCs for all of the
>>> "What's New"
>>> versions. I don't think it should replace the current ToC, but I think it
>>> should
>>> exist.
>>>
>>> I don't have time to work on this immediately, so I thought I would throw
>>> it out
>>> there to see if there's any interest.
>> +1 on Robert's idea.
>> I always end up bricolating some summary of the new changes for myself.
>> It would be nice if it were just there.
>
> I've now changed the templates a bit to make all "What's new" documents
> accessible. This should be live on docs.python.org soon.

That's better, thank you! Can you easily put the ToCs for all of the What's New
pages onto that page? It would make skimming and searching even easier.

Robert Kern schrieb:

> Georg Brandl wrote:
>> Martin Blais schrieb:

>>> +1 on Robert's idea.
>>> I always end up bricolating some summary of the new changes for myself.
>>> It would be nice if it were just there.
>>
>> I've now changed the templates a bit to make all "What's new" documents
>> accessible. This should be live on docs.python.org soon.
>
> That's better, thank you! Can you easily put the ToCs for all of the What's New
> pages onto that page? It would make skimming and searching even easier.

Done! Let me know if it works for you.

Georg