"testime" : package name conflict

Thomas Hulka
Hello,

We would like to publish an open source package on PyPI for our product line "teatime". We would like to call the package teatime, but a package with such name is already registered. The registered package is surely a funny package but not of essential value for the python community and has not been touched since submission many years ago, it appears to be more of a trial to upload some code. The issue now is that package author Etienne Robillard is not reachable under the email given here or under any email address I found on the web. Is there any cleaning procedure that removes packages from the repository if the authors email becomes invalid, the package is hardly downloaded, of obvious limited value and not maintained anymore?

Cheers
Thomas

--
Thomas Hulka

discretelogics
Kirchengasse 5/1/1
1070 Wien
Austria
[hidden email]
0650 216 39 60

Re: "testime" : package name conflict

"Martin v. Löwis"
> We would like to publish an open source package on PyPI for our product
> line "teatime". We would like to call the package teatime, but a package
> with such name is already registered. The registered package is surely a
> funny package but not of essential value for the python community and
> has not been touched since submission many years ago, it appears to be
> more of a trial to upload some code. The issue now is that package
> author Etienne Robillard is not reachable under the email given here or
> under any email address I found on the web. Is there any cleaning
> procedure that removes packages from the repository if the authors email
> becomes invalid, the package is hardly downloaded, of obvious limited
> value and not maintained anymore?

That the package appears to have little value to you is no reason to
delete it from the package index. The policy for using package names
is clearly "first-come, first served", except in extraordinary
circumstances such as trademark infringement.

That the author is unresponsive is more of a reason to delete the
package from the index. In the past, we used that as a reason to
reassign package maintenance to a new maintainer.

Reusing the name for a different project entirely is a different issue.
It may be that the original author comes back, says he was on vacation,
and wants the reassignment reverted, in which case we should revert it.

That said, please submit a support request to the PyPI issue tracker.
We'll probably verify unreachability of the original user of the name
also, and then reassign. Please understand that this may take a while.

Regards,
Martin

Re: "testime" : package name conflict

Terry Reedy
On 1/23/2012 5:26 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> That the package appears to have little value to you is no reason to
> delete it from the package index. The policy for using package names
> is clearly "first-come, first served", except in extraordinary
> circumstances such as trademark infringement.
>
> That the author is unresponsive is more of a reason to delete the
> package from the index. In the past, we used that as a reason to
> reassign package maintenance to a new maintainer.

In this case, the project url http://www.gthc.org/
redirects to http://tkadm30.elite-server.co.uk/
an 'Apache Test Page', and the project download page
http://www.gthc.org/distfiles/teatime-1.0.2.tar.gz
is not found. (Too bad, my daugher might have found some interest in
whatever this was.)  If this continue very long, this would seem like a
good candidate for removal, freeing up the name.

Perhaps we should have a simple link checker run every so often and if
all project urls stay out of service for a while flag the project
somehow, and eventually delete.

--
Terry Jan Reedy

Re: "testime" : package name conflict

Richard Jones-32
On 24 January 2012 09:26, "Martin v. Löwis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> We would like to publish an open source package on PyPI for our product
>> line "teatime". We would like to call the package teatime, but a package
>> with such name is already registered. The registered package is surely a
>> funny package but not of essential value for the python community and
>> has not been touched since submission many years ago, it appears to be
>> more of a trial to upload some code. The issue now is that package
>> author Etienne Robillard is not reachable under the email given here or
>> under any email address I found on the web. Is there any cleaning
>> procedure that removes packages from the repository if the authors email
>> becomes invalid, the package is hardly downloaded, of obvious limited
>> value and not maintained anymore?
>
> That the package appears to have little value to you is no reason to
> delete it from the package index

This is my response also. There is software uploaded to the PyPI
package entry. I see no reason to nuke it out of hand even if the
author of the package is no longer contactable.

     Richard

Re: "testime" : package name conflict

"Martin v. Löwis"
> In this case, the project url http://www.gthc.org/
> redirects to http://tkadm30.elite-server.co.uk/
> an 'Apache Test Page', and the project download page
> http://www.gthc.org/distfiles/teatime-1.0.2.tar.gz
> is not found. (Too bad, my daugher might have found some interest in
> whatever this was.)

Just point your daughter to

http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/t/teatime/teatime-1.0.2.tar.gz

which is still available.

Regards,
Martin

Re: "testime" : package name conflict

M.-A. Lemburg
[hidden email] wrote:

>> In this case, the project url http://www.gthc.org/
>> redirects to http://tkadm30.elite-server.co.uk/
>> an 'Apache Test Page', and the project download page
>> http://www.gthc.org/distfiles/teatime-1.0.2.tar.gz
>> is not found. (Too bad, my daugher might have found some interest in whatever this was.)
>
> Just point your daughter to
>
> http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/t/teatime/teatime-1.0.2.tar.gz
>
> which is still available.

You might also want to check out:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/EtienneRobillard
http://code.activestate.com/pypm/author:Etienne-Robillard/
https://bitbucket.org/erob/notmm/overview

While the package information may not be up to date and Etienne
appears to have some problems with his websites, it doesn't
seem like he's left the Python community... and there are
plenty alternative email addresses to try to contact him.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

>>> Python/Zope Consulting and Support ...        http://www.egenix.com/
>>> mxODBC.Zope.Database.Adapter ...             http://zope.egenix.com/
>>> mxODBC, mxDateTime, mxTextTools ...        http://python.egenix.com/

   eGenix.com Software, Skills and Services GmbH  Pastor-Loeh-Str.48
               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/

On 1/24/2012 3:20 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/t/teatime/teatime-1.0.2.tar.gz

I did not notice that the hidden url was different from the 'download'
url. Looking at it, no, no reason to arbitrarily delete it, even if
slightly strange.

--
Terry Jan Reedy