raising pyblosxom requirements

will kahn-greene
Hi!

I'm tossing around raising the Python requirement for PyBlosxom from 2.3
to 2.5.  There are a couple of reasons for this:

1. it allows us to use features and fixes available in 2.4 and 2.5
(subprocess instead of popen2 in comments plugin, ...)

2. it reduces the number of Python versions we need to test against

Python 2.5 is pretty old, so I don't think I'd be raising the bar so
high that it makes life difficult for people.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  Does anyone run PyBlosxom on a
system with Python 2.3 or 2.4?

/will

Re: raising pyblosxom requirements

Ray Van Dolson-4
On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 04:43:54AM -0500, will kahn-greene wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm tossing around raising the Python requirement for PyBlosxom from 2.3
> to 2.5.  There are a couple of reasons for this:
>
> 1. it allows us to use features and fixes available in 2.4 and 2.5
> (subprocess instead of popen2 in comments plugin, ...)
>
> 2. it reduces the number of Python versions we need to test against
>

> Python 2.5 is pretty old, so I don't think I'd be raising the bar so
> high that it makes life difficult for people.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  Does anyone run PyBlosxom on a
> system with Python 2.3 or 2.4?
>
> /will

I run it on RHEL5 (CentOS 5) and have been meaning to get it packaged
up for Fedora and EPEL.

RHEL5 includes Python 2.4.3 by default, though EPEL provides 2.6 I
believe.

Any 2.5-only features you definitely plan on using?

Ray

Re: raising pyblosxom requirements

will kahn-greene
2.5 has a few things that are very nice:

* try/except/finally
* __missing__ in dicts
* startswith and endswith can take tuples
* one less version of Python to test on

Having said that, updating the requirements to 2.5 isn't a deal-breaker.

2.4 has subprocess, sets, generator expressions, function decorators,
multiline imports, key argument to sort (which is huge), sorted, and
some other things.  Updating the requirements to Python 2.4 is more
important.

/will

On 02/04/2011 08:57 AM, Ray Van Dolson wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 04:43:54AM -0500, will kahn-greene wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm tossing around raising the Python requirement for PyBlosxom from 2.3
>> to 2.5.  There are a couple of reasons for this:
>>
>> 1. it allows us to use features and fixes available in 2.4 and 2.5
>> (subprocess instead of popen2 in comments plugin, ...)
>>
>> 2. it reduces the number of Python versions we need to test against
>>

>> Python 2.5 is pretty old, so I don't think I'd be raising the bar so
>> high that it makes life difficult for people.
>>
>> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  Does anyone run PyBlosxom on a
>> system with Python 2.3 or 2.4?
>>
>> /will
>
> I run it on RHEL5 (CentOS 5) and have been meaning to get it packaged
> up for Fedora and EPEL.
>
> RHEL5 includes Python 2.4.3 by default, though EPEL provides 2.6 I
> believe.
>
> Any 2.5-only features you definitely plan on using?
>
> Ray

Re: raising pyblosxom requirements

will kahn-greene
I heard no concern about raising the bar to Python 2.4 and some concern
about raising the bar to Python 2.5.

Therefore, I'm going to raise the requirement to Python 2.4 for
PyBlosxom 1.5.  I'll go codify it in git master now.

Thank you all for your thoughts!