re Python's "batteries included" meme

kirby urner-4

As I watch students struggle with the:

if __name__ == "__main__":

concept (where to put it, what it does),
it occurs to me we could be doing more
to leverage the already well-worn
"batteries included."

What's different about Python?  The
rich libraries it comes with, including a
cross-platform GUI IDE.  That's one
meaning of "batteries included".

But in another sense we could speak
of the generic module as a "battery" with
the "if run top-level" logic having to do
with battery *testing*.

==== python module ====

[ BATTERIES ]

(functions, classes, global-to-module
names...)

if __name__ == "__main__":

[ BATTERY TESTERS ]

====================

That changes the meaning a little more,
to where each Python module is like
"a battery pack" with its own set of
"testers".

One thing we do with battery packs is
we "import" (promote) their internals
within a top-level namespace that starts
off in some other (alien) module.

Another thing we do with battery packs
is run them top-level namespaces on their
own, perhaps depending on imports
(outsourced resources).

I'm not suggesting harping on this too
much, just another slide that goes by,
but a fun mnemonic, and reinforcing of
an already approved / useful design pattern
(see my previous post in this edu-sig archive
for an example of this self-testing style,
relying on doctest for services).

Kirby

NEW: Blogs, Videos and Donorschoose!

A. Jorge Garcia
NEW: Blogs, Videos and Donorschoose!

Please enjoy my blogs on Midterm Week (installing SAGE and Ubuntu) and
Course Selection Week (Recruiting for next year)!
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com

Here's some new Algebra II Trig and preCalculus related screen-casts
(Law of Sines, Law of Cosines)!
http://www.youtube.com/calcpage2009

Take a look at my latest DonorsChoose project (new Tablet PC for
SmartBoarding and ScreenCasting)!
http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/proposal.html?id=520470&challengeid=32688&more=true

HTH,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math and CompSci
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/calcpage2009

Re: NEW: Blogs, Videos and Donorschoose!

kirby urner-4

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 5:48 PM, A. Jorge Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:
NEW: Blogs, Videos and Donorschoose!

Please enjoy my blogs on Midterm Week (installing SAGE and Ubuntu) and Course Selection Week (Recruiting for next year)!
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com

FLOSS = Free Linux Open Source Software?  Hadn't heard that, clever.

I like the stuff on primes in SAGE.

Does SAGE let us do generators?  No doubt.

Projected Python:

Here's some new Algebra II Trig and preCalculus related screen-casts (Law of Sines, Law of Cosines)!
http://www.youtube.com/calcpage2009

Eew, a calculator.  No wait, I'm trying to be pro calculator these days:

(suggests emulating calculators as a premier genre when learning to program)

Take a look at my latest DonorsChoose project (new Tablet PC for SmartBoarding and ScreenCasting)!
http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/proposal.html?id=520470&challengeid=32688&more=true

Very enterprising and good for showing off software designed to power charitable giving,
something I think about a lot vis-a-vis my "Coffee Shops Network" (featuring games that
let you be a hero, winning funds for worthy charities  -- your donor profile may become a
walking-your-talk credential of sorts).

Kirby

HTH,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math and CompSci
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/calcpage2009

NEW: Blogs, Videos and Donorschoose!

A. Jorge Garcia

NEW: Blogs, Videos and Donorschoose!

A. Jorge Garcia

NEW: Blogs, Videos and Donorschoose!

A. Jorge Garcia

NEW: Blogs, Videos and Donorschoose!

A. Jorge Garcia

Re: NEW: Blogs, Videos and Donorschoose!

kirby urner-4
Lots of great links here.

Was surfing around, 1 degree of separation, and came across this
excellent Ignite talk:

(about restoring an Archimedes text from like an overwritten hard drive -- fortunately, it was analog (a book)).

Such great educational opportunities at the click of a mouse.

Thanks for all the value added.  Collecting worthy finds is always a help to others.

Kirby

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 2:51 PM, A. Jorge Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please enjoy my latest blogs about Learning and Teaching Math and Computing with technology!
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com/2011/06/is-there-life-after-calculus.html
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com/2011/06/chief-reader-rosenstein-vs-betty-sue.html
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com/2011/05/smartboards-flatscreens-and-ideapads-oh.html
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com/2011/05/httpappinventorgooglelabscom-and.html

Here's my new preCalculus screen-casts (starting Calculus)!
http://www.youtube.com/calcpage2009

Here's some math and computer songs my studemts made for YouTube!
http://www.youtube.com/cistheta2007

Here's my current DonorsChoose project!
http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/proposal.html?id=520470&challengeid=32688#materials

Thanx,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math and CompSci
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/calcpage2009

Blogs, Videos, Songs and Documentaries for your viewing pleasure!

A. Jorge Garcia

Re: Blogs, Videos, Songs and Documentaries for your viewing pleasure!

kirby urner-4
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 4:59 PM, A. Jorge Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Here's my blogs about Learning and Teaching Math and Computing with
> technology!
> http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com/2011/07/taking-show-on-road.html

Really glad you're collecting and posting these in one place.

Great to getting a read on technology in the classroom, as used by a pro who
also bucks the system, doesn't sucker for vendor lock-in at every turn e.g.
knows free Ubuntu has viable real time desktop capturing mp4 capability.

> http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com/2011/08/flipping-classroom-to-flip-or-not-to.html

( might be a mistake in the Java on this one myBody += myBody + etc.)

> http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com/2011/06/screencasting-101-to-be-or-not-to-be.html
> http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com/2011/08/fare-thee-well-summer-session-ii.html
> http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com/2011/08/fare-thee-well-summer-session-ii-part-2.html
> http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com/2011/08/fare-thee-well-summer-session-ii-part-3.html

My storyboard school in the Oregon high desert (branch campus) is quite bicycle
centric, with students coming back with lots of data.

Bicycles and riders are likely equipped with sensors, are outfitted
for GPS navigation.

Two of our cyclers just came back from Yamhill county, 4 days in farm
and forest
lands, harvesting data (this is real, not storyboard).

GIS was used, but no real time GPS this time, and no sensors were left behind.

Tags:  Project Earthala, Dignity Village, EPCOT West, XRL (eXtremely
Remote Living)

The goal is to build up an electronic, interactive representation of
the surrounding
ecosystem and to use it in association with county engineers to
implement various
new energy harvesting technologies, such as the solar steam dish from Infinia
(sterling engine), various dwelling machine solutions (or call them
tents, yurts or
whatever).

Note:  urban schools may accept the same challenge.

Urban geocaching is already a recognized sport.

A professor from Rochester and I had a long talk with the CTO of Immersive
Media (Portland office) about their back pack dodeca-cams, not unlike those
on Google Cars.

The files generated by these things (devices) go to the school's rack for
stitching together in student-faculty designed mashups.  As an intranet, our
installation closely models a GIS shop, perhaps with ESRI products
(a Python angle).

Imagine hiking trails tagged with immersive media files such that campsites
might be viewed "on tape" even just by dialing in coordinates, or hitting a
blip on the map (shared / projected).  Yes, like Picassa.

> Here's my preCalculus, Calculus and CompSci screen-casts!
> http://www.youtube.com/calcpage2009
>
> Here's some math and computer songs my studemts made for YouTube!
> http://www.youtube.com/cistheta2007#g/c/8E2A8DE4C0DA6B2A
> http://www.youtube.com/cistheta2007#g/c/FBA85F4CD27E8D4A
>
> Here's some computer documentaries I saved from crumbling VHS tapes for
> YouTube!
> http://www.youtube.com/cistheta2007#g/c/35534A5E32FB49A4
>
> Thanx,
> A. Jorge Garcia
> Applied Math and CompSci
> http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
> http://www.youtube.com/calcpage2009

Our "math is an outdoor sport" tagline goes with this camp / school
blend where we encourage lots of physical activity in connection
with computation and statistical analysis, with calculus for curves.
Also goes with the BarCamp metaphor.

The so-called "self quantification movement" (quite visible at
OSCON 2011 already) is feeding into this lineage as well.
Runners like uploading and sharing their sensor data.  Athletes
are forever comparing stats, and that's math, stats, bioinformatics.

Our two cyclers are foodies and each was testing a diet.

STEM is deliberately a blend and working hard to keep each
subject distinct from the others has that "bad old days" flavor
of when people hyper-specialized.  "Is this computer science
or bio-engineering?" -- why would you need to bog down in
such questions?

The majors we seek to attract have environmental science
concerns and a lot of the sensors we're installing have a
biometric angle.

If you saw the movie 'Gasland' you know there's a lot to be
monitored and modeled -- an ongoing project in multiple
counties.

No one private organization has jurisdiction, especially given
all the public lands involved, not forgetting public air.  Plenty
of room for school involvement, with universities winning
contracts, receiving grants.

You might see more of these schools popping up in the
Stans or Nigeria for example (some UN funding), as these
student populations are just as concerned about environmental
quality, and are just as capable of running Ubuntu etc.

http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2010/08/foss-in-afghanistan.html

Oregon hikers are increasingly ask for wifi / cell in the
wilderness and that's giving eco-scientists (STEM students)
more options with webcams, weather stations, air and water
quality sensors etc.

Anyway, just painting a picture of the memes I'm harvesting
when watching your videos.

What if we just have like a bed sheet strung between trees for
a screen, with camp and star light for backdrop?  We want
to learn Python, in conjunction with an API for pulling up
data about the ecosystem (called "place based education"
in the literature).

Should we aim for more portable projection capability?

Or should we design certain sites to have geocached equipment
accessible to those with the right "treasure maps"?

Lots to think about.

Link to mathfuture:
http://groups.google.com/group/mathfuture/browse_thread/thread/ebafa7896fd9ca74

Kirby

kirby urner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

Also goes with the BarCamp metaphor.

The so-called "self quantification movement" (quite visible at
OSCON 2011 already) is feeding into this lineage as well.
Runners like uploading and sharing their sensor data. Athletes
are forever comparing stats, and that's math, stats, bioinformatics.

Our two cyclers are foodies and each was testing a diet.

STEM is deliberately a blend and working hard to keep each
subject distinct from the others has that "bad old days" flavor
of when people hyper-specialized. "Is this computer science
or bio-engineering?" -- why would you need to bog down in
such questions?

The majors we seek to attract have environmental science
concerns and a lot of the sensors we're installing have a
biometric angle.

If you saw the movie 'Gasland' you know there's a lot to be
monitored and modeled -- an ongoing project in multiple< br />counties.

[...]

Edu-sig mailing list

Holy cow! That's high praise indeed from the great Kirby! Yes, I have a rep for bucking the system, but they let me get away with it as I have a good track record! This will be my 28th year teaching in New York State public schools and I have 6 to go before retirement. I don't know how much longer I can buck the system with all these new teacher evaluation procedures...

BTW, you are correct about the 'myBody +=' issue. I forgot it was on that video. We did correct it in the next class but I didn't record it. I've been screencasting my Math classes mostly over the last 5 years or so. Maybe next year's screencasting project will be CompSci.
Thanx,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math and CompSci
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/calcpage2009
Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

NEW: Blogs, Videos and SmartNotes and Code!

A. Jorge Garcia