refactoring support

Shannon -jj Behrens
Has anyone had luck with any editors / IDEs that provide refactoring
for Python?  I know there's Bicycle Repair Man for Emacs, etc. and
that PyCharmer has some stuff.  I've tried the stuff in NetBeans a
little, but not much.  I haven't tried the refactoring support in
PyDev or WingIDE.

Thanks,
-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Re: refactoring support

Simeon Franklin
Have you looked at Rope in Emacs or VI? I think it's newer than
Bicycle Repair Man but my experience w/ it is extremely limited.

-Simeon

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Shannon -jj Behrens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone had luck with any editors / IDEs that provide refactoring
> for Python?  I know there's Bicycle Repair Man for Emacs, etc. and
> that PyCharmer has some stuff.  I've tried the stuff in NetBeans a
> little, but not much.  I haven't tried the refactoring support in
> PyDev or WingIDE.
>
> Thanks,
> -jj
>
> --
> In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
> with great love. -- Mother Teresa
> http://jjinux.blogspot.com/

Re: refactoring support

Eric Walstad
On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Shannon -jj Behrens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Has anyone had luck with any editors / IDEs that provide refactoring
> for Python?  I know there's Bicycle Repair Man for Emacs, etc. and
> that PyCharmer has some stuff.  I've tried the stuff in NetBeans a
> little, but not much.  I haven't tried the refactoring support in
> PyDev or WingIDE.

I use WingIDE daily but have never checked for refactoring support.
My search of its documentation, and its website, turned up nothing on
refactoring.  I'd be interested to hear what you find.

Good luck,

EW.

Re: refactoring support

Max Slimmer
I use wingIde too, found this video/download which indicates there is
some new tools in ver 4

http://filesboom.com/torrent/refactoring-in-wing-ide/QrwfdO1x5NQ

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Eric Walstad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Shannon -jj Behrens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Has anyone had luck with any editors / IDEs that provide refactoring
>> for Python?  I know there's Bicycle Repair Man for Emacs, etc. and
>> that PyCharmer has some stuff.  I've tried the stuff in NetBeans a
>> little, but not much.  I haven't tried the refactoring support in
>> PyDev or WingIDE.
>
> I use WingIDE daily but have never checked for refactoring support.
> My search of its documentation, and its website, turned up nothing on
> refactoring.  I'd be interested to hear what you find.
>
> Good luck,
>
> EW.

Re: refactoring support

Eric Walstad
On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Max Slimmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I use wingIde too, found this video/download which indicates there is
> some new tools in ver 4
>
> http://filesboom.com/torrent/refactoring-in-wing-ide/QrwfdO1x5NQ
Wow, nice sleuthing.  v4 is still Beta; I'm running 3.2.11-1.  I'm
surprised that their v4 features page[0] doesn't mention the
refactoring support either.

The refactoring tools I've used in the past are grep, find, sed and
Wing's 'Find in files' tool with copy/paste.

EW

[0] http://wingide.com/wingide/beta

Re: refactoring support

Stephen McInerney

PyDev for Eclipse does basic refactoring (extract method, extract variable, rename method)
http://pydev.org/manual_adv_refactoring.html

(If you wanted something more powerful, what exactly are you looking for?)

Stephen

Re: refactoring support

Tony Cappellini
> I use WingIDE daily but have never checked for refactoring support.
> My search of its documentation, and its website, turned up nothing on
> refactoring.  I'd be interested to hear what you find.

Ditto.
I've been using Wing for just over 4 years, never heard anything about
refactoring tools.

Re: refactoring support

Jeff Hunter-2
I have been using PyCharm for about a week now. It has refactoring support. I've only used it a couple of times, but it seems to work well.

<http://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/>

Jeff

On Dec 8, 2010, at 5:46 PM, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:

> Has anyone had luck with any editors / IDEs that provide refactoring
> for Python?  I know there's Bicycle Repair Man for Emacs, etc. and
> that PyCharmer has some stuff.  I've tried the stuff in NetBeans a
> little, but not much.  I haven't tried the refactoring support in
> PyDev or WingIDE.
>
> Thanks,
> -jj
>
> --
> In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
> with great love. -- Mother Teresa
> http://jjinux.blogspot.com/

Re: refactoring support

Shannon -jj Behrens
> Have you looked at Rope in Emacs or VI?

Not yet.

> (If you wanted something more powerful, what exactly are you looking for?)

I'm not looking for anything in particular.  I'm just curious.

> I have been using PyCharm for about a week now. It has refactoring support. I've only used it a couple of times, but it seems to work well.

Yeah, I've been thinking of using PyCharm, but I always feel
uncomfortable using proprietary development tools.  I might give it a
shot anyway.  Of course, I'm currently using NetBeans, and I haven't
fully explored what it can do yet.

Thanks,
-jj