regarding HTML mail

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
apology: I searched for a few minutes and could not find a code of
conduct regarding HTML mail.

Can we have some guideline to allow only plain text emails, so as to
avoid cases like
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/docs/2012-March/007999.html, where
you are forced to scroll horizontally in order to read the text.

Re: regarding HTML mail

Barry Warsaw
On Mar 19, 2012, at 05:25 PM, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:

>apology: I searched for a few minutes and could not find a code of
>conduct regarding HTML mail.

I'm not sure it's written down anywhere, but in general we strongly discourage
HTML email for the lists @python.org

>Can we have some guideline to allow only plain text emails, so as to
>avoid cases like
>http://mail.python.org/pipermail/docs/2012-March/007999.html, where
>you are forced to scroll horizontally in order to read the text.

docs is a different mailing list than python-dev, but still neither list is
doing any content filtering.  We could always enable that if we wanted to get
strict about it.

In this case, this isn't html email, it's likely this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/558294

Cheers,
-Barry

Re: regarding HTML mail

Jesse Noller
I'd like to discuss top-posting.

On Monday, March 19, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2012, at 05:25 PM, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
>
> > apology: I searched for a few minutes and could not find a code of
> > conduct regarding HTML mail.
>

> I'm not sure it's written down anywhere, but in general we strongly discourage
> HTML email for the lists @python.org (http://python.org)
>
> > Can we have some guideline to allow only plain text emails, so as to
> > avoid cases like
> > http://mail.python.org/pipermail/docs/2012-March/007999.html, where
> > you are forced to scroll horizontally in order to read the text.
>

> docs is a different mailing list than python-dev, but still neither list is
> doing any content filtering. We could always enable that if we wanted to get
> strict about it.
>
> In this case, this isn't html email, it's likely this bug:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/558294
>
> Cheers,
> -Barry

Re: regarding HTML mail

Glenn Linderman-3
On 3/19/2012 11:52 AM, Jesse Noller wrote:
I'd like to discuss top-posting.

Somewhere else, please.

Oh, that was your point :)

Re: regarding HTML mail

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 20:20, Barry Warsaw <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>Can we have some guideline to allow only plain text emails, so as to
>>avoid cases like
>>http://mail.python.org/pipermail/docs/2012-March/007999.html, where
>>you are forced to scroll horizontally in order to read the text.
>
> docs is a different mailing list than python-dev, but still neither list is
> doing any content filtering.  We could always enable that if we wanted to get
> strict about it.
>
> In this case, this isn't html email, it's likely this bug:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/558294

Maybe it is, but it's strange that my reply to that mail was nicely
done: http://mail.python.org/pipermail/docs/2012-March/008001.html.