rewriting examples in python

roberto-3
hello, i found this very famous book
"Turtle Geometry: The Computer as a Medium for Exploring Mathematics
(Artificial Intelligence)"
by Harold Abelson and Andrea diSessa
and i was wondering if anyone of the turtle experts has ever rewritten
in python the logo examples in the book;

i am more interested in the turtle spirit than in the logo language,
so i'd like to use python directly along with the book itself

thank you very much in advance
--
roberto

Re: rewriting examples in python

Christian Mascher
roberto wrote:
> hello, i found this very famous book
> "Turtle Geometry: The Computer as a Medium for Exploring Mathematics
> (Artificial Intelligence)"
> by Harold Abelson and Andrea diSessa
> and i was wondering if anyone of the turtle experts has ever rewritten
> in python the logo examples in the book;

Nobody has answered, so probably not. Nevertheless I think its a good
idea to try this. It will probably turn out to be perfectly feasible to
do these examples in Python with the turtle module by Gregor Lingl. And
a good exercise too. If you run into problems let us know.

--Christian

> i am more interested in the turtle spirit than in the logo language,
> so i'd like to use python directly along with the book itself
>
> thank you very much in advance

Re: rewriting examples in python

Mokurai
I am more interested in reimplementing such examples in Turtle Art,
and in having a module to translate to Python automatically. Since TA
implements each tile in Python, and the source code is provided, this
should be an easy exercise.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 5:52 AM, Edward Cherlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am more interested in reimplementing such examples in Turtle Art,
> and in having a module to translate to Python automatically. Since TA
> implements each tile in Python, and the source code is provided, this
> should be an easy exercise.

i agree;

also, i started this thread since i did not find any *introductory*
and rich enough resource a school student can use to learn TA or
turtle module or, broadly speaking, turtle programming in Python (if i
am wrong, please tell me)

if nobody else did something in this regard, i'll be happy to do some
work in this direction as soon as the school end, early june;

of course, since my students are very young and with no previous
programming experience, i'd like to start with TA

let me know also if anyone is doing something similar, to prevent double work

thank you again

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:36, roberto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 5:52 AM, Edward Cherlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am more interested in reimplementing such examples in Turtle Art,
>> and in having a module to translate to Python automatically. Since TA
>> implements each tile in Python, and the source code is provided, this
>> should be an easy exercise.
>>
> i agree;
>
> also, i started this thread since i did not find any *introductory*
> and rich enough resource a school student can use to learn TA or
> turtle module or, broadly speaking, turtle programming in Python (if i
> am wrong, please tell me)

Walter Bender and I are working on such things.

> if nobody else did something in this regard, i'll be happy to do some
> work in this direction as soon as the school end, early june;

What topics are you interested in covering? I'm working on math and
Computer Science topics.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 1:26 AM, Edward Cherlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:36, roberto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 5:52 AM, Edward Cherlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I am more interested in reimplementing such examples in Turtle Art,
>>> and in having a module to translate to Python automatically. Since TA
>>> implements each tile in Python, and the source code is provided, this
>>> should be an easy exercise.
>>>
>> i agree;
>>
>> also, i started this thread since i did not find any *introductory*
>> and rich enough resource a school student can use to learn TA or
>> turtle module or, broadly speaking, turtle programming in Python (if i
>> am wrong, please tell me)
>
> Walter Bender and I are working on such things.
>
>> if nobody else did something in this regard, i'll be happy to do some
>> work in this direction as soon as the school end, early june;
>
> What topics are you interested in covering? I'm working on math and
> Computer Science topics.

well, i am interested in working with students on introductory CS topics;
by the way, this will be useful to introduce also basic geometry topics;

after that, the interest of the students will lead their learning,
whose directions i cannot predict by now ...
where will you publish your tutorial/manual ?

thank you in advance

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 12:11, roberto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 1:26 AM, Edward Cherlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>> i agree;
>>>
>>> also, i started this thread since i did not find any *introductory*
>>> and rich enough resource a school student can use to learn TA or
>>> turtle module or, broadly speaking, turtle programming in Python (if i
>>> am wrong, please tell me)

There are books, software modules, and other materials. We can work
together on a bibliography, and call on the rich experience of Seymour
Papert's Logo group and Alan Kay's Smalltalk group, among others.

>> Walter Bender and I are working on such things.
>>
>>> if nobody else did something in this regard, i'll be happy to do some
>>> work in this direction as soon as the school end, early june;

Late June or July for me. I have a temporary Census job.

>> What topics are you interested in covering? I'm working on math and
>> Computer Science topics.
>
> well, i am interested in working with students on introductory CS topics;
> by the way, this will be useful to introduce also basic geometry topics;

We can do a wide range of geometry, including Euclidean and
non-Euclidean synthetic geometry, analytic geometry, and graphing
functions; data capture; CS topics such as parse trees, control
structures, data structures, stacks, cellular automatons, and Turing
machines.

Then we show older children the Python source, and how to implement
their own Python TA tiles, and encourage them to join the TA community
and improve it, or to go on to the wider Python and Free Software
communities.

http://www.flossmanuals.net/

> thank you in advance
>

>>> of course, since my students are very young and with no previous
>>> programming experience, i'd like to start with TA

Good choice.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/