saturday london python dojos?

12

saturday london python dojos?

Alec Battles
i've been to the london python dojo once. i quite liked it. but
weekday evenings are not exactly the best time for me.

am i the only one in this situation?

and would anyone else be interested in this?

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Kuba
Yep, I'm in the same situation as Alec.

I'd like to go to London Python dojo, but
weekday is not the option for me.

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Mohammed Abdulrazeg
I agree. Although, I do not know if people would be up for a weekend. I would be up for it, since then I think we can have longer and it is not so rushed as people need to prepare for work the other day.

--
Mohammed Abdulrazeg

On Monday, 30 January 2012 at 21:56, Kuba wrote:

Yep, I'm in the same situation as Alec.

I'd like to go to London Python dojo, but
weekday is not the option for me.

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Tom Viner-2
That sounds like a plan. I'm happy to gauge interest among the
(admittedly self selecting) audience of the weekday dojo when I host
it this Thursday. The tickets booked out within 3 hrs this month so
there's clearly unmet demand.

I personally would really enjoy having a longer session to create more
ambitious solutions on a weekend dojo. Although I wouldn't be able to
attend every time.

Tom
@tomviner

On 30 January 2012 22:40, Ed Stafford <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd be up for hosting something on Sunday (maybe Saturday) at the office (Global Radio) in Liecester Square on Sundays if anyone is interested. It's likely I could get something sorted once a month. We have a proper theater along with breakout 6 rooms and other large spaces.
>
> On Jan 30, 2012 9:56 PM, "Kuba" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yep, I'm in the same situation as Alec.
>>
>> I'd like to go to London Python dojo, but
>> weekday is not the option for me.

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Ed Stafford-3
Let me know what the interest is like and we can go from there.

Btw, we're actively look for a Python Dev at Global Radio so if there's interest from experienced devs please let me know.

[hidden email]

On 30 January 2012 23:07, Tom Viner <[hidden email]> wrote:
That sounds like a plan. I'm happy to gauge interest among the
(admittedly self selecting) audience of the weekday dojo when I host
it this Thursday. The tickets booked out within 3 hrs this month so
there's clearly unmet demand.

I personally would really enjoy having a longer session to create more
ambitious solutions on a weekend dojo. Although I wouldn't be able to
attend every time.

Tom
@tomviner

On 30 January 2012 22:40, Ed Stafford <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd be up for hosting something on Sunday (maybe Saturday) at the office (Global Radio) in Liecester Square on Sundays if anyone is interested. It's likely I could get something sorted once a month. We have a proper theater along with breakout 6 rooms and other large spaces.
>
> On Jan 30, 2012 9:56 PM, "Kuba" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yep, I'm in the same situation as Alec.
>>
>> I'd like to go to London Python dojo, but
>> weekday is not the option for me.

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Carles Pina i Estany-2

On Jan/30/2012, Tom Viner wrote:

> I personally would really enjoy having a longer session to create more
> ambitious solutions on a weekend dojo. Although I wouldn't be able to
> attend every time.

I estimate that I would go 50% of the Python Dojo's that would happen on
weekends.

--
Carles Pina i Estany
        http://pinux.info

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Javier Llopis
I would drop by most of the time.

> Let me know what the interest is like and we can go from there.
>
> Btw, we're actively look for a Python Dev at Global Radio so if there's
> interest from experienced devs please let me know.
>
> [hidden email]
>
> On 30 January 2012 23:07, Tom Viner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> That sounds like a plan. I'm happy to gauge interest among the
>> (admittedly self selecting) audience of the weekday dojo when I host
>> it this Thursday. The tickets booked out within 3 hrs this month so
>> there's clearly unmet demand.
>>
>> I personally would really enjoy having a longer session to create more
>> ambitious solutions on a weekend dojo. Although I wouldn't be able to
>> attend every time.
>>
>> Tom
>> @tomviner
>>
>> On 30 January 2012 22:40, Ed Stafford
>> <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I'd be up for hosting something on Sunday (maybe Saturday) at the
>> office
>> (Global Radio) in Liecester Square on Sundays if anyone is interested.
>> It's
>> likely I could get something sorted once a month. We have a proper
>> theater
>> along with breakout 6 rooms and other large spaces.

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Jonathan Hartley
On 30/01/2012 23:58, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Jan/30/2012, Tom Viner wrote:
>
>> I personally would really enjoy having a longer session to create more
>> ambitious solutions on a weekend dojo. Although I wouldn't be able to
>> attend every time.
> I estimate that I would go 50% of the Python Dojo's that would happen on
> weekends.

Personally, I could probably only make it 10% of the time at weekends. I
much prefer a weeknight slot.

Good luck to those of you who prefer it though, that shouldn't stop you.

--
Jonathan Hartley    [hidden email]    http://tartley.com
Made of meat.       +44 7737 062 225       twitter/skype: tartley

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Alistair Broomhead

I'd also be interested - I usually attend ldnpydojo on a Thursday but a weekend would be more ideal. If it were a Sunday I would prefer it to start and end earlier, for the same reason Thursdays are less than convenient.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S

On Jan 30, 2012 10:34 PM, "Mohammed Abdulrazeg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I agree. Although, I do not know if people would be up for a weekend. I would be up for it, since then I think we can have longer and it is not so rushed as people need to prepare for work the other day.

--
Mohammed Abdulrazeg

On Monday, 30 January 2012 at 21:56, Kuba wrote:

Yep, I'm in the same situation as Alec.

I'd like to go to London Python dojo, but
weekday is not the option for me.

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Ed Stafford-3
There's no reason we couldn't host two events a month at the Global office (Leicester Square). I have to get sign off but it seems possible. We have a theatre that will seat around 40 people for presentations. I'll wait until I get final approval before moving forward.

On 31 January 2012 11:00, Jonathan Hartley <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 30/01/2012 23:58, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
Hi,

On Jan/30/2012, Tom Viner wrote:

I personally would really enjoy having a longer session to create more
ambitious solutions on a weekend dojo. Although I wouldn't be able to
attend every time.
I estimate that I would go 50% of the Python Dojo's that would happen on
weekends.

Personally, I could probably only make it 10% of the time at weekends. I much prefer a weeknight slot.

Good luck to those of you who prefer it though, that shouldn't stop you.

--
Jonathan Hartley    [hidden email]    http://tartley.com
Made of meat.       <a href="tel:%2B44%207737%20062%20225" value="+447737062225" target="_blank">+44 7737 062 225       twitter/skype: tartley

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Nicholas H.Tollervey

Choosing the day/time of a dojo is always going to inconvenience
someone. I have a young family and weekends are precious. Obviously I
could make a Saturday dojo but not every month.

If Ed is willing to provide a location along with free pizza and beer
(which is the usual package provided by a "sponsor") then I think it's
a cracking good idea!

Actually, rather than run a dojo (which is quite a focussed affair)
why not run a hackathon? Self selecting teams can coalesce around a
problem area rather than specific problem and have 6 hours to produce
something before a show-and-tell. For example, running a hackathon
around the subject of "Living in London" (I'm making this up as I go
along, can't you tell..?) might produce tools for grabbing data, quick
and lightweight websites, data-analysis tools, cloud based APIs to
aggregate information or single use applications such as something
that sends you a text message if it's going to rain in London in the
next 24 hours... and so on.

Now, *that* would be awesome and play to the extended period of time
we'd have at our disposal.

What's the upper limit on numbers..? How are people fixed in February?

Just throwing ideas around... ;-)

N.

On 31/01/12 11:00, Jonathan Hartley wrote:

> On 30/01/2012 23:58, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Jan/30/2012, Tom Viner wrote:
>>
>>> I personally would really enjoy having a longer session to
>>> create more ambitious solutions on a weekend dojo. Although I
>>> wouldn't be able to attend every time.
>> I estimate that I would go 50% of the Python Dojo's that would
>> happen on weekends.
>>

> Personally, I could probably only make it 10% of the time at
> weekends. I much prefer a weeknight slot.
>
> Good luck to those of you who prefer it though, that shouldn't stop
> you.

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Ed Stafford-3
I like the idea of a hackathon and the venue would lend itself well to this. I've been told that we won't have budget for food or drink but I have other contacts that I may able to convince to help sponsor the events. As I said, it's early days yet and I've only just started the formal process for sign-off and I'm hoping to have that sorted this week. I'll have a look around the theatre and meeting rooms to get a better idea of how many we can support.

On 31 January 2012 11:28, Nicholas H.Tollervey <[hidden email]> wrote:

Choosing the day/time of a dojo is always going to inconvenience
someone. I have a young family and weekends are precious. Obviously I
could make a Saturday dojo but not every month.

If Ed is willing to provide a location along with free pizza and beer
(which is the usual package provided by a "sponsor") then I think it's
a cracking good idea!

Actually, rather than run a dojo (which is quite a focussed affair)
why not run a hackathon? Self selecting teams can coalesce around a
problem area rather than specific problem and have 6 hours to produce
something before a show-and-tell. For example, running a hackathon
around the subject of "Living in London" (I'm making this up as I go
along, can't you tell..?) might produce tools for grabbing data, quick
and lightweight websites, data-analysis tools, cloud based APIs to
aggregate information or single use applications such as something
that sends you a text message if it's going to rain in London in the
next 24 hours... and so on.

Now, *that* would be awesome and play to the extended period of time
we'd have at our disposal.

What's the upper limit on numbers..? How are people fixed in February?

Just throwing ideas around... ;-)

N.

On 31/01/12 11:00, Jonathan Hartley wrote:
> On 30/01/2012 23:58, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Jan/30/2012, Tom Viner wrote:
>>
>>> I personally would really enjoy having a longer session to
>>> create more ambitious solutions on a weekend dojo. Although I
>>> wouldn't be able to attend every time.
>> I estimate that I would go 50% of the Python Dojo's that would
>> happen on weekends.
>>

> Personally, I could probably only make it 10% of the time at
> weekends. I much prefer a weeknight slot.
>
> Good luck to those of you who prefer it though, that shouldn't stop
> you.

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Ross Lawley-2
Ed if you're feeling really adventurous you could throw a BarCamp! Its been a while since one has been done there: http://barcamp.org/w/page/401031/BarCampLondon4

Ross

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Ed Stafford <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like the idea of a hackathon and the venue would lend itself well to this. I've been told that we won't have budget for food or drink but I have other contacts that I may able to convince to help sponsor the events. As I said, it's early days yet and I've only just started the formal process for sign-off and I'm hoping to have that sorted this week. I'll have a look around the theatre and meeting rooms to get a better idea of how many we can support.

On 31 January 2012 11:28, Nicholas H.Tollervey <[hidden email]> wrote:

Choosing the day/time of a dojo is always going to inconvenience
someone. I have a young family and weekends are precious. Obviously I
could make a Saturday dojo but not every month.

If Ed is willing to provide a location along with free pizza and beer
(which is the usual package provided by a "sponsor") then I think it's
a cracking good idea!

Actually, rather than run a dojo (which is quite a focussed affair)
why not run a hackathon? Self selecting teams can coalesce around a
problem area rather than specific problem and have 6 hours to produce
something before a show-and-tell. For example, running a hackathon
around the subject of "Living in London" (I'm making this up as I go
along, can't you tell..?) might produce tools for grabbing data, quick
and lightweight websites, data-analysis tools, cloud based APIs to
aggregate information or single use applications such as something
that sends you a text message if it's going to rain in London in the
next 24 hours... and so on.

Now, *that* would be awesome and play to the extended period of time
we'd have at our disposal.

What's the upper limit on numbers..? How are people fixed in February?

Just throwing ideas around... ;-)

N.

On 31/01/12 11:00, Jonathan Hartley wrote:
> On 30/01/2012 23:58, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Jan/30/2012, Tom Viner wrote:
>>
>>> I personally would really enjoy having a longer session to
>>> create more ambitious solutions on a weekend dojo. Although I
>>> wouldn't be able to attend every time.
>> I estimate that I would go 50% of the Python Dojo's that would
>> happen on weekends.
>>

> Personally, I could probably only make it 10% of the time at
> weekends. I much prefer a weeknight slot.
>
> Good luck to those of you who prefer it though, that shouldn't stop
> you.

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Ed Stafford-3
Hi Ross,

That's an idea! Once I get the sign off I may find we have enough time for 2 or 3 events a month. Will have to gauge interest towards the end of the week.

On 31 January 2012 11:45, Ross Lawley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ed if you're feeling really adventurous you could throw a BarCamp! Its been a while since one has been done there: http://barcamp.org/w/page/401031/BarCampLondon4

Ross

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Ed Stafford <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like the idea of a hackathon and the venue would lend itself well to this. I've been told that we won't have budget for food or drink but I have other contacts that I may able to convince to help sponsor the events. As I said, it's early days yet and I've only just started the formal process for sign-off and I'm hoping to have that sorted this week. I'll have a look around the theatre and meeting rooms to get a better idea of how many we can support.

On 31 January 2012 11:28, Nicholas H.Tollervey <[hidden email]> wrote:

Choosing the day/time of a dojo is always going to inconvenience
someone. I have a young family and weekends are precious. Obviously I
could make a Saturday dojo but not every month.

If Ed is willing to provide a location along with free pizza and beer
(which is the usual package provided by a "sponsor") then I think it's
a cracking good idea!

Actually, rather than run a dojo (which is quite a focussed affair)
why not run a hackathon? Self selecting teams can coalesce around a
problem area rather than specific problem and have 6 hours to produce
something before a show-and-tell. For example, running a hackathon
around the subject of "Living in London" (I'm making this up as I go
along, can't you tell..?) might produce tools for grabbing data, quick
and lightweight websites, data-analysis tools, cloud based APIs to
aggregate information or single use applications such as something
that sends you a text message if it's going to rain in London in the
next 24 hours... and so on.

Now, *that* would be awesome and play to the extended period of time
we'd have at our disposal.

What's the upper limit on numbers..? How are people fixed in February?

Just throwing ideas around... ;-)

N.

On 31/01/12 11:00, Jonathan Hartley wrote:
> On 30/01/2012 23:58, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Jan/30/2012, Tom Viner wrote:
>>
>>> I personally would really enjoy having a longer session to
>>> create more ambitious solutions on a weekend dojo. Although I
>>> wouldn't be able to attend every time.
>> I estimate that I would go 50% of the Python Dojo's that would
>> happen on weekends.
>>

> Personally, I could probably only make it 10% of the time at
> weekends. I much prefer a weeknight slot.
>
> Good luck to those of you who prefer it though, that shouldn't stop
> you.

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Nicholas H.Tollervey

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Bruce Durling
Ross and Nick

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:20, Nicholas H.Tollervey <[hidden email]> wrote:
<I love snipping gpg signed messages>
> When I think about what we do in the dojo I reckon the limitations of
> size and frequency (we can only do it once a month in an office
> that'll hold no more than 30 hackers) actually plays to our advantage.
> People know the damn thing is going to sell out within hours and won't
> be around for another 4-5 weeks so best book a ticket RIGHT NOW!!11!!1!

We get around 30-40 signups for the London Clojure Dojos. We also run
monthly Incanter/Clojure Hack days and Overtone/Clojure hack days (not
quite monthly yet). The weekend numbers are much smaller than the
weeknight numbers for a monthly event.

I'm curious to see how the numbers compare.

cheers,
Bruce

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Ed Stafford-3
You're right about the fatigue and it's my fault for being unclear. The events won't all be python related. I have contacts with people from other events so I'm thinking one Python dojo or hackathon, a general themed hackathon with participation from multiple disciplines and maybe a barcamp every other month or something. I'm still working out the details and  I've started hitting up other companies for potential sponsorship.

Still early days. The one thing I don't want to do is step on the toes of the existing dojo. So please, if you feel this is the case let me know and we can work something out. Maybe the  python dojo stays as it is and we concentrate on a Python hackathon on the weekend (which I really like the idea of).

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Nicholas H.Tollervey

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Ed Stafford-3
Hi Nick,

Absolutely, is there a system in place somewhere to help coordinate these or is it on an ad-hoc basis? Do you just check Lanyard or something?

On 31 January 2012 12:41, Nicholas H.Tollervey <[hidden email]> wrote:
12