saturday london python dojos?

12

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Richard Nienaber
Actually, rather than run a dojo (which is quite a focussed affair)
why not run a hackathon? Self selecting teams can coalesce around a
problem area rather than specific problem and have 6 hours to produce
something before a show-and-tell. For example, running a hackathon
around the subject of "Living in London" (I'm making this up as I go
along, can't you tell..?) might produce tools for grabbing data, quick
and lightweight websites, data-analysis tools, cloud based APIs to
aggregate information or single use applications such as something
that sends you a text message if it's going to rain in London in the
next 24 hours... and so on.

I'd love to participate in a hackathon. Another idea is putting together a PSF sanctioned python sprint. These are sprints that would be for the benefit of the wider python community e.g.
  • Python Core work, e.g, bug triage, documentation
  • Porting libraries/applications to Python 3
  • PyPI and packaging related improvements
  • Contribution to Python VMs, e.g., PyPy, IronPython
  • Contribution to other Python projects, e.g., Django, PIL, pywin32 and so on...
The PSF are also willing to help out with costs if your application is accepted.

Richard

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Nicholas H.Tollervey

We post well in advance on the python-uk mailing list. Code dojos are
usually the first Thursday of every month except January (and
sometimes September depending on the academic year). We take August off.

;-)

N.

On 31/01/12 13:25, Ed Stafford wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> Absolutely, is there a system in place somewhere to help
> coordinate these or is it on an ad-hoc basis? Do you just check
> Lanyard or something?
>
> On 31 January 2012 12:41, Nicholas H.Tollervey <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Hi Ed,
>
> <snip>
>
>> Still early days. The one thing I don't want to do is step on
>> the toes of the existing dojo. So please, if you feel this is the
>> case let me know and we can work something out. Maybe the  python
>> dojo stays as it is and we concentrate on a Python hackathon on
>> the weekend (which I really like the idea of).
>

> Absolutely no toes stepped upon at all! :-)
>
> The more Python / dev related events we have in London the better.
> The important thing is to coordinate (we've had double bookings
> before) and that we build upon the energy these efforts generate.
>
> I too like the idea of a hackathon - a lot more scope for
> extensive things to happen. The dojo is all about learning and
> extending your skills by practising using a specific problem
> whereas a hackathon is all about producing *something* useful in a
> particular problem domain ("Living in London", "Hack the NHS"
> etc...)
>
> N. _______________________________________________ python-uk
> mailing list [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Ed Stafford-3
A Python Sprint is a fantastic idea as well.

I've double checked our facilities and we can easily accomodate 35 in the theater and can squeeze in another 7 chairs up front (might be a little cramped though) and there's a little bit of standing room off the side.

I think 40-45 people would be the max unless presentations are short and some people don't mind standing. If that's the case we could fit maybe 50 or so. There's plenty of space in the conference rooms and breakout areas (couches and various chairs).

On 31 January 2012 13:32, Richard Nienaber <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tim Golden-4
Ed, it sounds great. I think it would be very good to
host a different Python session in London, perhaps in
the other half of the month from the Dojo, and that
it be a weekend will obviously allow some people to
come who couldn't come otherwise -- just as the
reverse is true for our Thursday Dojos.

As Nicholas says, we tend to coordinate simply through
the python-uk mailing list (ie this one) with tweets
and any other means people wish to use. I don't think
we're on Lanyard altho' I could be wrong.

The size you're talking about is probably about as big
as you really want before the thing moves into being
a conference. Just in curiosity, would it be possible
for you to post a photo of your presentation space?

I second the suggestion for a sprint, at least as one
way of making use of the session. I'm fairly sure that
the PSF sprinters are particularly keen on Python3-porting
sprints.

For my own part, I'd like to be able to come. I'm in West
London, but I run a boys' club on Saturdays and Sunday is
the only free space I get :) Have to see... Thanks again
for offering the space. Let's see if we can get something
going.

TJG

On 31/01/2012 13:38, Ed Stafford wrote:

> A Python Sprint is a fantastic idea as well.
>
> I've double checked our facilities and we can easily accomodate 35 in
> the theater and can squeeze in another 7 chairs up front (might be a
> little cramped though) and there's a little bit of standing room off the
> side.
>
> I think 40-45 people would be the max unless presentations are short and
> some people don't mind standing. If that's the case we could fit maybe
> 50 or so. There's plenty of space in the conference rooms and breakout
> areas (couches and various chairs).
>
> On 31 January 2012 13:32, Richard Nienaber <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         Actually, rather than run a dojo (which is quite a focussed affair)
>         why not run a hackathon? Self selecting teams can coalesce around a
>         problem area rather than specific problem and have 6 hours to
>         produce
>         something before a show-and-tell. For example, running a hackathon
>         around the subject of "Living in London" (I'm making this up as I go
>         along, can't you tell..?) might produce tools for grabbing data,
>         quick
>         and lightweight websites, data-analysis tools, cloud based APIs to
>         aggregate information or single use applications such as something
>         that sends you a text message if it's going to rain in London in the
>         next 24 hours... and so on.
>

>     I'd love to participate in a hackathon. Another idea is putting
>     together a PSF sanctioned python sprint <http://pythonsprints.com/>.
>     These are sprints that would be for the benefit of the wider python
>     community e.g.
>
>       * Python Core work, e.g, bug triage, documentation
>       * Porting libraries/applications to Python 3
>       * PyPI and packaging related improvements
>       * Contribution to Python VMs, e.g., PyPy, IronPython
>       * Contribution to other Python projects, e.g., Django, PIL,
>         pywin32 and so on...
>
>     The PSF are also willing to help out with costs if your application
>     is accepted.
>
>     Richard

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Rami Chowdhury
On Jan 31, 2012, at 1:46 PM, Tim Golden wrote:

> I second the suggestion for a sprint, at least as one
> way of making use of the session. I'm fairly sure that
> the PSF sprinters are particularly keen on Python3-porting
> sprints.

I would be very much up for a Python sprint, although like others I'm squeezed on Sundays. If there's any way I can help with the organizing, I'd be up for that too.

> For my own part, I'd like to be able to come. I'm in West
> London, but I run a boys' club on Saturdays and Sunday is
> the only free space I get :) Have to see... Thanks again
> for offering the space. Let's see if we can get something
> going.
>
> TJG
>

> On 31/01/2012 13:38, Ed Stafford wrote:
>> A Python Sprint is a fantastic idea as well.
>>
>> I've double checked our facilities and we can easily accomodate 35 in
>> the theater and can squeeze in another 7 chairs up front (might be a
>> little cramped though) and there's a little bit of standing room off the
>> side.
>>
>> I think 40-45 people would be the max unless presentations are short and
>> some people don't mind standing. If that's the case we could fit maybe
>> 50 or so. There's plenty of space in the conference rooms and breakout
>> areas (couches and various chairs).
>>
>> On 31 January 2012 13:32, Richard Nienaber <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>        Actually, rather than run a dojo (which is quite a focussed affair)
>>        why not run a hackathon? Self selecting teams can coalesce around a
>>        problem area rather than specific problem and have 6 hours to
>>        produce
>>        something before a show-and-tell. For example, running a hackathon
>>        around the subject of "Living in London" (I'm making this up as I go
>>        along, can't you tell..?) might produce tools for grabbing data,
>>        quick
>>        and lightweight websites, data-analysis tools, cloud based APIs to
>>        aggregate information or single use applications such as something
>>        that sends you a text message if it's going to rain in London in the
>>        next 24 hours... and so on.
>>

>>    I'd love to participate in a hackathon. Another idea is putting
>>    together a PSF sanctioned python sprint <http://pythonsprints.com/>.
>>    These are sprints that would be for the benefit of the wider python
>>    community e.g.
>>
>>      * Python Core work, e.g, bug triage, documentation
>>      * Porting libraries/applications to Python 3
>>      * PyPI and packaging related improvements
>>      * Contribution to Python VMs, e.g., PyPy, IronPython
>>      * Contribution to other Python projects, e.g., Django, PIL,
>>        pywin32 and so on...
>>
>>    The PSF are also willing to help out with costs if your application
>>    is accepted.
>>
>>    Richard

----
Rami Chowdhury
"A mind all logic is like a knife all blade - it makes the hand bleed that uses it." -- Rabindranath Tagore
+44-7581-430-517

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Javier Llopis
While all are very good ideas, there is still clearly a need for a second
London python dojo since tickets fly in just a few hours after the
announcement.

Just a thought

> [...]
>>         aggregate information or single use applications such as
>> something
>>         that sends you a text message if it's going to rain in London in
>> the
>>         next 24 hours... and so on.
>>

>>     I'd love to participate in a hackathon. Another idea is putting
>>     together a PSF sanctioned python sprint <http://pythonsprints.com/>.
>>     These are sprints that would be for the benefit of the wider python
>>     community e.g.
>>
>>       * Python Core work, e.g, bug triage, documentation
>>       * Porting libraries/applications to Python 3
>>       * PyPI and packaging related improvements
>>       * Contribution to Python VMs, e.g., PyPy, IronPython
>>       * Contribution to other Python projects, e.g., Django, PIL,
>>         pywin32 and so on...
>>
>>     The PSF are also willing to help out with costs if your application

If there's enough demand I'd be happy to host a second dojo as well. The space is easy to find, covering the food and drink is what I'm working on now.

I'll take some pictures this evening before I leave the office, as it's less crowded, and send them along.

On 31 January 2012 13:51, Javier Llopis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>         aggregate information or single use applications such as
>> something
>>         that sends you a text message if it's going to rain in London in
>> the
>>         next 24 hours... and so on.
>>

>>     I'd love to participate in a hackathon. Another idea is putting
>>     together a PSF sanctioned python sprint <http://pythonsprints.com/>.
>>     These are sprints that would be for the benefit of the wider python
>>     community e.g.
>>
>>       * Python Core work, e.g, bug triage, documentation
>>       * Porting libraries/applications to Python 3
>>       * PyPI and packaging related improvements
>>       * Contribution to Python VMs, e.g., PyPy, IronPython
>>       * Contribution to other Python projects, e.g., Django, PIL,
>>         pywin32 and so on...
>>
>>     The PSF are also willing to help out with costs if your application

Alec Battles
> While all are very good ideas, there is still clearly a need for a second
> London python dojo since tickets fly in just a few hours after the
> announcement.

yeah, that's what i was asking, ie -- 'does anyone else wish there
were saturday/sunday *python dojos* in london? am i the only one in
this situation?'

i am only interested in a weekend python dojo. and for what it's
worth, free pizza and beer were not totally essential to my enjoyment
of the weeknight dojo.

the open-ended, yet still predictable dojo format was what i went for.
i think whoever came up with that really nailed it. or maybe i just
like routines and predictable yet open-ended formats because i have
asperger's.

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Paul Nasrat-6
I'd be interested in a PSF style sprint in London - my main
contributions atm are to pip, virtualenv but I don't always have the
time I'd like for them.

I've also a few projects I want to do but haven't had time -
particularly around testing.

Paul

On 31 January 2012 13:32, Richard Nienaber <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Actually, rather than run a dojo (which is quite a focussed affair)
>> why not run a hackathon? Self selecting teams can coalesce around a
>> problem area rather than specific problem and have 6 hours to produce
>> something before a show-and-tell. For example, running a hackathon
>> around the subject of "Living in London" (I'm making this up as I go
>> along, can't you tell..?) might produce tools for grabbing data, quick
>> and lightweight websites, data-analysis tools, cloud based APIs to
>> aggregate information or single use applications such as something
>> that sends you a text message if it's going to rain in London in the
>> next 24 hours... and so on.
>

> I'd love to participate in a hackathon. Another idea is putting together a
> PSF sanctioned python sprint. These are sprints that would be for the
> benefit of the wider python community e.g.
>
> Python Core work, e.g, bug triage, documentation
> Porting libraries/applications to Python 3
> PyPI and packaging related improvements
> Contribution to Python VMs, e.g., PyPy, IronPython
> Contribution to other Python projects, e.g., Django, PIL, pywin32 and so
> on...
>
> The PSF are also willing to help out with costs if your application is
> accepted.
>
> Richard

Re: saturday london python dojos?

René Dudfield
Hi,

people can apply to PSF for sprint funding.   http://pythonsprints.com/

cheers,

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Paul Nasrat <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd be interested in a PSF style sprint in London - my main
contributions atm are to pip, virtualenv but I don't always have the
time I'd like for them.

I've also a few projects I want to do but haven't had time -
particularly around testing.

Paul

On 31 January 2012 13:32, Richard Nienaber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Actually, rather than run a dojo (which is quite a focussed affair)
>> why not run a hackathon? Self selecting teams can coalesce around a
>> problem area rather than specific problem and have 6 hours to produce
>> something before a show-and-tell. For example, running a hackathon
>> around the subject of "Living in London" (I'm making this up as I go
>> along, can't you tell..?) might produce tools for grabbing data, quick
>> and lightweight websites, data-analysis tools, cloud based APIs to
>> aggregate information or single use applications such as something
>> that sends you a text message if it's going to rain in London in the
>> next 24 hours... and so on.
>

> I'd love to participate in a hackathon. Another idea is putting together a
> PSF sanctioned python sprint. These are sprints that would be for the
> benefit of the wider python community e.g.
>
> Python Core work, e.g, bug triage, documentation
> Porting libraries/applications to Python 3
> PyPI and packaging related improvements
> Contribution to Python VMs, e.g., PyPy, IronPython
> Contribution to other Python projects, e.g., Django, PIL, pywin32 and so
> on...
>
> The PSF are also willing to help out with costs if your application is
> accepted.
>
> Richard

Re: saturday london python dojos?

Ed Stafford-3
I'm still keen to get things going and I'm just waiting for final approval for use of our facilities before I start arranging things.

On 2 February 2012 12:44, René Dudfield <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

people can apply to PSF for sprint funding.   http://pythonsprints.com/

cheers,

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Paul Nasrat <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd be interested in a PSF style sprint in London - my main
contributions atm are to pip, virtualenv but I don't always have the
time I'd like for them.

I've also a few projects I want to do but haven't had time -
particularly around testing.

Paul

On 31 January 2012 13:32, Richard Nienaber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Actually, rather than run a dojo (which is quite a focussed affair)
>> why not run a hackathon? Self selecting teams can coalesce around a
>> problem area rather than specific problem and have 6 hours to produce
>> something before a show-and-tell. For example, running a hackathon
>> around the subject of "Living in London" (I'm making this up as I go
>> along, can't you tell..?) might produce tools for grabbing data, quick
>> and lightweight websites, data-analysis tools, cloud based APIs to
>> aggregate information or single use applications such as something
>> that sends you a text message if it's going to rain in London in the
>> next 24 hours... and so on.
>

> I'd love to participate in a hackathon. Another idea is putting together a
> PSF sanctioned python sprint. These are sprints that would be for the
> benefit of the wider python community e.g.
>
> Python Core work, e.g, bug triage, documentation
> Porting libraries/applications to Python 3
> PyPI and packaging related improvements
> Contribution to Python VMs, e.g., PyPy, IronPython
> Contribution to other Python projects, e.g., Django, PIL, pywin32 and so
> on...
>
> The PSF are also willing to help out with costs if your application is
> accepted.
>
> Richard

12