simplified procedure

Andreas Röhler-2

Hi Barry,

thanks for the merges.

With respect to the still considerable amount of
reports and a possible speed up of it's treatment, please
permit some reflexions, how ease the process:

- as for pure typos, whitespace, indent-matters IMHO
   developers should be permitted to push into the trunk
   without prior notice.

- if funktion is changed, newly introduced, we could
   agree a simplified procedure, saying a delay of three
   days, so people may object.

- in cases of fundamental change I won't act without
   your prior consent.

So far

Andreas

PS

https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/string-to-syntax

is still unmerged. It concerns XEmacs only (featurep
'xemacs)...,

Re: simplified procedure

Barry Warsaw
Hi Andreas,

On Jan 11, 2011, at 09:55 AM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

>With respect to the still considerable amount of
>reports and a possible speed up of it's treatment, please
>permit some reflexions, how ease the process:
>
>- as for pure typos, whitespace, indent-matters IMHO
>   developers should be permitted to push into the trunk
>   without prior notice.

Sure.  I think it's fine to JFDI for trivial patches.  After all, we have a
version control system and post-commit notifications with diffs.  I don't
think you even need to do a merge proposal for those.

>- if funktion is changed, newly introduced, we could
>   agree a simplified procedure, saying a delay of three
>   days, so people may object.

A merge proposal would be nice, and waiting a few days (perhaps with a ping on
email or irc).  Three days is probably fine, though be a little more lenient
around weekends and holidays.  Other than that, if you feel pretty confident
about the change and no one responds, JFDI.

There will be times when you might not be able to get anyone's attention for
various reasons.  I'd say that in the above two cases, you should not let that
block your progress.  Just self-approve the mp and commit.

>- in cases of fundamental change I won't act without
>   your prior consent.

Yep, behavior changes should require a higher barrier.  A discussion on this
mailing list would always be good (before, during, or after merge proposal is
submitted).

>https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/string-to-syntax
>
>is still unmerged. It concerns XEmacs only (featurep
>'xemacs)...,

I commented on the mp.

Cheers,
-Barry