some notes and links

kirby urner-4
Hey good news about numpy now supporting Python 3.  Some of you will
have seen that announcement.

I'm getting ready for DjangoCon here in Portland, am likely to be
'snake handler' again this year, carry the PSF totem around, a token
of friendship when she meets up with Djangopony.

I've been looking at some of the swoopy effects in HTML5, thinking
about the future of trucking software, such as transportation system
managers.

http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2010/08/tomorrows-guis.html
http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2010/08/notes-on-trucking.html

http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com/  (not all browsers will handle,
I'm using Chrome, worth doing the demo).

>From last Djangocon:

"""
Erich Ocean: HTML5 is a technical spec, but culturally its more a
Flash killer. The beefy JavaScript engines are making a big
difference. Dynamic languages win again (sorry Java). SproutCore is
the HTML5 application framework adopted by and now developed at Apple.
It's open source, like WebKit and LLVM. Erich thinks WebKit is the
future for the browser, thinks Django is well positioned on the server
side. Webkit will run on Windows. HTML5 is moving faster than many
think. You'll be able to sneak WebKit in the back door into IE6 even.
This talk relates to the anticipated future of low latency push apps
that keep updating the browser without waiting for client-side
requests i.e. like Comet (see above). HTML5 web sockets...
"""

http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2009/09/djangocon-day-3.html

As always, when I look at industry software, I think about how this
could translate to the pre-college curriculum.

Given my Geometry + Geography paradigm, I see trucking mixing with
Google Street View as a way to learn more about a given topography
(anywhere trucks travel, doesn't have to be North America or anything
so parochial -- how about Phuntsholing to Samdrup Jonkar by inland
mountain road (via Tongsa, Mongar and Tashigang) -- sounds like Lord
of the Rings.  I've done it the whole way (though not as a truck
driver) at one time or another.

http://www.4dsolutions.net/satacad/martianmath/mm12.html  (Geometry + Geography)

Or instead of a truck, a bizmo (business mobile):

http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2007/10/designing-engineers.html  (funny lookin').

I'm off to a meeting on open source in Afghanistan, per recent posting
to Diversity.

Kirby

Re: some notes and links

Gregor Lingl-2

kirby urner schrieb:

> Hey good news about numpy now supporting Python 3.  Some of you will
> have seen that announcement.
>
> I'm getting ready for DjangoCon here in Portland, am likely to be
> 'snake handler' again this year, carry the PSF totem around, a token
> of friendship when she meets up with Djangopony.
>
> I've been looking at some of the swoopy effects in HTML5, thinking
> about the future of trucking software, such as transportation system
> managers.
>
> http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2010/08/tomorrows-guis.html
> http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2010/08/notes-on-trucking.html
>
> http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com/
This is really a great demo
> Given my Geometry + Geography paradigm, I see trucking mixing with
> Google Street View as a way to learn more about a given topography

We have a big discussion in Europe at the moment (especially Germany and
Austria) concerning the question if google streetview is legal in our
countries or should be restricted/forbidden.

Concerning html5 and given your Geometry + Geography paradigm you might
want to have a look at what can be done with the htlm-canvas element alone:

http://www.phpguru.org/html5-examples

Regards,
Gregor

Re: some notes and links

kirby urner-4
On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Gregor Lingl <[hidden email]> wrote:

<< snip >>

>> http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com/
>
> This is really a great demo

>> Given my Geometry + Geography paradigm, I see trucking mixing with
>> Google Street View as a way to learn more about a given topography
>>

> We have a big discussion in Europe at the moment (especially Germany and
> Austria) concerning the question if google streetview is legal in our
> countries or should be restricted/forbidden.

Good hearing from you.

People leery (suspicious) in the UK as well.

There's a "public roads" argument, i.e. public roads should be accessible
to Google's spy vehicles, just as space is to satellites.

Gated communities, private property owners, might deny access.

However, not every society has a well-defined notion of "public roads".

Here's the Blue House where I hang out quite a bit:

http://tinyurl.com/238y58r

It's an old picture though, the car in the driveway long ago recycled.

We also have more vegetables growing in front, thinks to the
live-in Global U student  (getting a degree in community organizing).

> Concerning html5 and given your Geometry + Geography paradigm you might want
> to have a look at what can be done with the htlm-canvas element alone:
>
> http://www.phpguru.org/html5-examples

Way cool, forwarded to Facebook (where some math teachers track
me), with attribution to one Gregor on edu-sig (one of the greats).

Kirby