specify manifest template other than MANIFEST.in

specify manifest template other than MANIFEST.in

kgk-3
I would like to keep several related distributions in a single top
level directory.
In order to do the proper packaging, each package will need it's own MANIFEST.in

The docs seems to suggest you can override the default name
MANIFEST.in, however, I cannot seem
to find an option or parameter to do so.

Thanks for any pointers.
Kris

--
Kristian G. Kvilekval ([hidden email]) 805-636-1599

Re: specify manifest template other than MANIFEST.in

Éric Araujo
Hi,

Le 20/03/2012 15:10, kgk a écrit :
> The docs seems to suggest you can override the default name MANIFEST.in,
Correct.  I tried finding which part of the doc hinted about that to see
if I could improve it and could not find it!  Do you have the link?

> however, I cannot seem to find an option or parameter to do so.
Manifests and manifests templates are only used by the sdist command.
If you run “python setup.py sdist -h”, you’ll find the --template/-t option.

MANIFEST and MANIFEST.in can’t be found from the index pages in the
Python docs; I will fix that.

Regards

Fwd: specify manifest template other than MANIFEST.in

kgk-3

http://docs.python.org/distutils/sourcedist.html#manifest-related-options

>> however, I cannot seem to find an option or parameter to do so.
> Manifests and manifests templates are only used by the sdist command.
> If you run “python setup.py sdist -h”, you’ll find the --template/-t option.

I am trying to run sdist throught distrubute or setuptools, I didn';t see that
options.  In fact, 'sdist -h' was the first thing I tried.  I will try
with stock
distutils and see if it is there.

> MANIFEST and MANIFEST.in can’t be found from the index pages in the
> Python docs; I will fix that.

Kristian G. Kvilekval ([hidden email]) 805-636-1599

--
Kristian G. Kvilekval ([hidden email]) 805-636-1599

Re: Fwd: specify manifest template other than MANIFEST.in

Éric Araujo
Hello,

>>> The docs seems to suggest you can override the default name MANIFEST.in,
>> Correct.  I tried finding which part of the doc hinted about that to see
>> if I could improve it and could not find it!  Do you have the link?
> http://docs.python.org/distutils/sourcedist.html#manifest-related-options

That’s definitely lacking, I’ll add the other options to that section.

>>> however, I cannot seem to find an option or parameter to do so.
>> Manifests and manifests templates are only used by the sdist command.
>> If you run “python setup.py sdist -h”, you’ll find the --template/-t option.
> I am trying to run sdist throught distrubute or setuptools, I didn';t see that
> options.  In fact, 'sdist -h' was the first thing I tried.  I will try
> with stock distutils and see if it is there.

From a quick look at the code setuptools’ sdist command ignores
MANIFEST.in and MANIFEST altogether and takes the list of files from the
version control system.

Cheers

Re: Fwd: specify manifest template other than MANIFEST.in

PJ Eby

On Mar 21, 2012 10:19 PM, "Éric Araujo" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> From a quick look at the code setuptools’ sdist command ignores
> MANIFEST.in and MANIFEST altogether and takes the list of files from the
> version control system.

No, MANIFEST.in is used, it's just that setuptools doesn't depend on the MANIFEST file.  Distutils by itself can end up with a stale MANIFEST file, so setuptools ignores it.  MANIFEST.in, on the other hand, is used as a supplement to any available revision control info.

The main problem the OP will have here is that putting multiple distributions in a single directory isn't well-supported by distutils or any distutils-based build systems that I know of at the moment.