sudo jython ez_setup.py

Thufir
Is it typical to have to resort to sudo to install ez_setup.py?  This is
following quite closely to the Jython book:

http://www.jython.org/jythonbook/en/1.0/appendixA.html

Because of root permissions, nearly everything must be done with root.  On
top of that, yolk, I don't think, is running.  I suppose this is where
virtual environments are handy?

see attached sudo.txt pls.

thanks,

Thufir

sudo.txt (14K) Download Attachment

Re: sudo jython ez_setup.py

Stefan Richthofer
Thufir, I may not be the ideal guide for pip etc on Jython, because I always use the dev-versions of packages with Jython, setting up import-path by hand (so I can directly debug stuff). So far I never used pip or ez_setup to properly install packages for Jython, though it's said to work well. That said, you should

- consider to use the --prefix option to select a custom install-path (see pip doc)
- be aware that installing packages with pip or similar tools without --prefix normally requires root-access, also with CPython
- better not mix CPython and Jython package installation paths:
    Your log mentions /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages, which is a location for CPython-stuff.
    That's probably why Jython cannot find packages installed there: It doesn't have it on jython-path by default.
    Maybe the right Jython location should be /usr/local/lib/jython2.7/dist-packages (not sure... maybe jythonbook knows...?)
    (Again: You can choose a custom location using --prefix)

Hope this somewhat helps.

Stefan

> Gesendet: Montag, 16. Januar 2017 um 22:55 Uhr
> Von: "Thufir Hawat" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: [Jython-users] sudo jython ez_setup.py
>
> Is it typical to have to resort to sudo to install ez_setup.py?  This is
> following quite closely to the Jython book:
>
> http://www.jython.org/jythonbook/en/1.0/appendixA.html
>

> Because of root permissions, nearly everything must be done with root.  On
> top of that, yolk, I don't think, is running.  I suppose this is where
> virtual environments are handy?
>

> see attached sudo.txt pls.
>

> thanks,
>
> Thufir------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot_______________________________________________
> Jython-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jython-users

Re: sudo jython ez_setup.py

Thufir
Yes, I'll take a look at the --path option, that makes sense.

Thanks,

thufir

thufir@doge:~/NetBeansProjects/nfl$
thufir@doge:~/NetBeansProjects/nfl$ which pip
/home/thufir/.local/bin//pip
thufir@doge:~/NetBeansProjects/nfl$
thufir@doge:~/NetBeansProjects/nfl$ pip -V
pip 9.0.1 from /home/thufir/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages (python 2.7)
thufir@doge:~/NetBeansProjects/nfl$
thufir@doge:~/NetBeansProjects/nfl$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=16.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=xenial
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 16.04 LTS"
thufir@doge:~/NetBeansProjects/nfl$
thufir@doge:~/NetBeansProjects/nfl$ jython -V
"my" variable $jythonHome masks earlier declaration in same scope at
/usr/bin/jython line 15.
Jython 2.5.3