teaching more people to program

Alper Çugun

Hi all,

I want to organize something to help more people in the Amsterdam area / Netherlands to learn how to program. You might have seen this important initiative: http://www.code.org/

I occasionally give some programming lessons to absolute beginners already and I was thinking of organizing an event in Amsterdam but it's too big to do by myself (and I spend most of my time in Berlin now). I am involved with Hack de Overheid and we would definitely support it and we're already thinking of ways to push this into schools. There are tons of material and immaterial benefits to teaching more people how to program.

Here in Berlin I help out with Open Tech School ( http://www.opentechschool.org/ ) which is a lot of fun and reaches quite some people. They're an open (source) organization which means, we could fork it to Amsterdam.

I'd like to hear if you're interested in something like that or what your thoughts are. If there's enough interest, I think we could kick something off.

Best,
Alper

Re: teaching more people to program

Lars Claussen
Hi,

Actually last week I was talking to a friend of mine of how I would like to teach some programming to people who would like to start out. I haven't spend much thought about a certain format but whatever this could be I'm definitely interested in joining in on the action.

Cheers,
Lars

2013/3/26 Alper Çugun <[hidden email]>

[...]

Winkel, Alex van

Hi all,

I would like to help as well. Exept I’m living in the South of Holland , near Eindhoven.

Regards,

Alex

Re: teaching more people to program

Pepijn de Vos-2
Yay, teaching programming is fun.

It seems there are enough people interested in helping out. Now, how to find people to teach?

Pepijn

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Winkel, Alex van <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

I would like to help as well. Exept I’m living in the South of Holland , near Eindhoven.

Regards,

Alex

Re: teaching more people to program

Dexter-24
Sorry, couldnt resist, I'd say you cant live in the south of holland, near eindhoven. holland only exists of noord-holland and zuid-holland..

You probably mean brabant :)

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 8:51 AM, pepijn de vos <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yay, teaching programming is fun.

It seems there are enough people interested in helping out. Now, how to find people to teach?

Pepijn

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Winkel, Alex van <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

I would like to help as well. Exept I’m living in the South of Holland , near Eindhoven.

Regards,

Alex

Re: teaching more people to program

Winkel, Alex van

@Dexter :

Ok Ok … I’m living in the South of THE NETHERLANDS   (grrrr)

(most people outside Europe think The Netherlands is the capital of Amsterdam…  J  They oftenly refer to the Netherlands as “Holland” .. hence… )

Regards,

Alex.

Re: teaching more people to program

Floris van Manen
Not too worry too much as there are three rivers to cross between the north and south :-)
.F

On 27 Mar 2013, at 10:52, Winkel, Alex van wrote:

> @Dexter :
>
> Ok Ok … I’m living in the South of THE NETHERLANDS   (grrrr)
>
> (most people outside Europe think The Netherlands is the capital of Amsterdam…  J  They oftenly refer to the Netherlands as “Holland” .. hence… )
>
> Regards,
>
> Alex.

I feel the same  :-D

Not too worry too much as there are three rivers to cross between the north and south :-) .F

On 27 Mar 2013, at 10:52, Winkel, Alex van wrote:

> @Dexter :
>
> Ok Ok . I'm living in the South of THE NETHERLANDS   (grrrr)
>
> (most people outside Europe think The Netherlands is the capital of
> Amsterdam.  J  They oftenly refer to the Netherlands as "Holland" ..
> hence. )
>
> Regards,
>
> Alex.

Michiel Overtoom

On Mar 27, 2013, at 10:52, Winkel, Alex van wrote:

> most people outside Europe think The Netherlands is the capital of Amsterdam…

Most Dutch people don't even know that there is something north of Zwolle ;-) [I live in Groningen]

--
Van biologisch eten wordt beweerd dat het gezonder zou zijn, beter voor het milleu, en een maatschappelijk verantwoorde keuze. Maar klopt dat wel? http://www.skeptische-artikelen.nl/fabels-over-biologisch-eten

Een kritische kijk op populaire fenomenen: http://www.skeptische-artikelen.nl/

Re: teaching more people to program

Joeri Bekker

Op 27 maart 2013 11:41 schreef Michiel Overtoom <[hidden email]> het volgende:

On Mar 27, 2013, at 10:52, Winkel, Alex van wrote:

> most people outside Europe think The Netherlands is the capital of Amsterdam…

Most Dutch people don't even know that there is something north of Zwolle ;-) [I live in Groningen]

--
Van biologisch eten wordt beweerd dat het gezonder zou zijn, beter voor het milleu, en een maatschappelijk verantwoorde keuze. Maar klopt dat wel? http://www.skeptische-artikelen.nl/fabels-over-biologisch-eten

Een kritische kijk op populaire fenomenen: http://www.skeptische-artikelen.nl/

Maykin Media
Herengracht 416, 1017 BZ Amsterdam
tel.: +31 (0)20 753 05 23
http://www.maykinmedia.nl

Re: teaching more people to program

Sylvain Viollon

  Hello,

Op 27 mrt 2013, om 11:41 heeft Michiel Overtoom het volgende geschreven:

> On Mar 27, 2013, at 10:52, Winkel, Alex van wrote:
>
>> most people outside Europe think The Netherlands is the capital of Amsterdam…
>
> Most Dutch people don't even know that there is something north of Zwolle ;-) [I live in Groningen]

   There are only cows up there no ?

   Sorry,

   I think this is a great idea, to organize such open courses.

   Regards,

   Sylvain,

--
Sylvain Viollon -- Infrae
t +31 10 243 7051 -- http://infrae.com

Re: teaching more people to program

Niels Bom-2
I'm interested.

We could try to contact people at universities, like Computer Science students, so we can use their facilities (computer rooms, lecture halls etc).

Are there any students on this list who'd like to help?

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Alper Çugun <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

You could also use raspberry pies, maybe find a sponsor or something. (or maybe let the children/parents pay)
That way, the children can take it home, and play/practice further

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 12:55 PM, Niels Bom <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jens de Smit
Nice idea. Of course, you'd still need a gathering place, keyboards, mice and screens, but the idea of letting people take them home to continue progging aligns _exactly_ with the idea behind the RPi. Watch Eben Upton's PyCon keynote to hear the full doctrine :) http://pyvideo.org/video/1668/keynote-2 (highly recommended watch).

There may already be material available in the RPi/teaching community. Depending on the target audience it may need rewriting/translating, but the RPi/RPi community could be a very good start here.

Jens

On Mar 27, 2013, at 13:03, Sylvain Viollon wrote:

> Op 27 mrt 2013, om 11:41 heeft Michiel Overtoom het volgende geschreven:
>> Most Dutch people don't even know that there is something north of Zwolle ;-) [I live in Groningen]
>
>   There are only cows up there no ?

Many cows indeed, but also Python conferences: http://www.pygrunn.org/

Greetings,