[tool] Autodoc (a script to grap and generate django documentation at html format)

[tool] Autodoc (a script to grap and generate django documentation at html format)

nsteinmetz

Hi,

New to django/python, and as I work often in the train, I was interested in
reading the djando doc offline.

So I wrote my first python script that :
* grap last version of the doc on the svn
* generate html version of all files (via rst2html).

autodoc is available here :

<http://chaudron.unelectronlibre.info/wiki/AutoDoc>

It may help some of you, that's why I report it here ;-)

I'm open to all your remarks/comments/suggestions

Nicolas

Re: [tool] Autodoc (a script to grap and generate django documentation at html format)

Jyrki Pulliainen

On 10/13/06, Nicolas Steinmetz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> New to django/python, and as I work often in the train, I was interested in
> reading the djando doc offline.
>
> So I wrote my first python script that :
> * grap last version of the doc on the svn
> * generate html version of all files (via rst2html).
>
> autodoc is available here :
>
> <http://chaudron.unelectronlibre.info/wiki/AutoDoc>
>
> It may help some of you, that's why I report it here ;-)
>
> I'm open to all your remarks/comments/suggestions

Script seems to work. However: Python-docutils package (at least on my
Ubuntu Dapper) ships with buildhtml.py-script, which can be found in
/usr/share/python-docutils/ directory. That recurses through
directories converting all .txt files to .html. Recursive conversion
is default behaviour and it can be changed with a switch. That way, a
2 line command line script would do the same thing that your thing.

Though, making that one, you've propably learned something. If you
want to process your script further, I'd suggest exploring the
docutils package for generating the html with python instead of
calling command line script. Would make the solution neater. Also, the
svn has a client libraries for python too.
--
Jyrki // [hidden email]

Jyrki Pulliainen wrote:

> Script seems to work. However: Python-docutils package (at least on my
> Ubuntu Dapper) ships with buildhtml.py-script, which can be found in
> /usr/share/python-docutils/ directory. That recurses through
> directories converting all .txt files to .html. Recursive conversion
> is default behaviour and it can be changed with a switch. That way, a
> 2 line command line script would do the same thing that your thing.

That's what I was afraid of ;-)

> Though, making that one, you've propably learned something. If you
> want to process your script further, I'd suggest exploring the
> docutils package for generating the html with python instead of
> calling command line script. Would make the solution neater. Also, the
> svn has a client libraries for python too.

I know it's not the perfect script and that it could be optimised in many
ways. As I discover the python world, I tried to make a first simple
script. I was guessing that docutils could be used directly, I now have to
dive into this (and also into svn lib...).

Nicolas

Re: [tool] Autodoc (a script to grap and generate django documentation at html format)

Jyrki Pulliainen

On 10/13/06, Nicolas Steinmetz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jyrki Pulliainen wrote:
>
> > Script seems to work. However: Python-docutils package (at least on my
> > Ubuntu Dapper) ships with buildhtml.py-script, which can be found in
> > /usr/share/python-docutils/ directory. That recurses through
> > directories converting all .txt files to .html. Recursive conversion
> > is default behaviour and it can be changed with a switch. That way, a
> > 2 line command line script would do the same thing that your thing.
>
> That's what I was afraid of ;-)

I've been through the same experience many many times too =)

> > Though, making that one, you've propably learned something. If you
> > want to process your script further, I'd suggest exploring the
> > docutils package for generating the html with python instead of
> > calling command line script. Would make the solution neater. Also, the
> > svn has a client libraries for python too.
>
> I know it's not the perfect script and that it could be optimised in many
> ways. As I discover the python world, I tried to make a first simple
> script. I was guessing that docutils could be used directly, I now have to
> dive into this (and also into svn lib...).

Own trivial projects are the best way to learn things. Have fun diving
in to that world =)

--
Jyrki // [hidden email]

Jyrki Pulliainen wrote:

> Own trivial projects are the best way to learn things. Have fun diving
> in to that world =)

Done in a cleaner way (with use of pysvn and docutils lib).

Nicolas