track chair meeting today #europython 1700 central european time

track chair meeting today #europython 1700 central european time

Michael Hudson
As previously threatened, I'd like to hold a meeting of people wanting
to chair a track at this year's EuroPython tonight.  Ideally after
this meeting we'll know what tracks we are going to have and who's
going to chair them and be in a fit state to write a call for papers.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Famous remarks are very seldom quoted correctly.
                                                    -- Simeon Strunsky

Re: track chair meeting today #europython 1700 central european time

Alexandre Fayolle-3
On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 09:59:43AM +0000, Michael Hudson wrote:
> As previously threatened, I'd like to hold a meeting of people wanting
> to chair a track at this year's EuroPython tonight.  Ideally after
> this meeting we'll know what tracks we are going to have and who's
> going to chair them and be in a fit state to write a call for papers.

Hi,

Nicolas Chauvat intends to chair the 'Python in the Scientific Computing
domain' as he did for the previous editions of EPC. Unfortunately, he
won't be able to attend today's meeting, because he is busy on Logilab's
booth at Solution Linux 2006 in Paris which has started today.

--
Alexandre Fayolle                              LOGILAB, Paris (France).
http://www.logilab.com   http://www.logilab.fr  http://www.logilab.org

Re: track chair meeting today #europython 1700 central european time

Aroldo Souza-Leite
Hi Michael,

again I don't know if I'll be at the meeting tonight, but I'm still
applying for the Education Track, including, of course, the necessary
jobs in the conference foreground ( looking for people, papers, etc).

Regards,

Aroldo.

Michael Hudson <[hidden email]> writes:

> As previously threatened, I'd like to hold a meeting of people wanting
> to chair a track at this year's EuroPython tonight.  Ideally after
> this meeting we'll know what tracks we are going to have and who's
> going to chair them and be in a fit state to write a call for papers.

OK, the upshot of this was indeed a list of tracks and chairs,
something like this:

 holger/bea d - agile
 aiste/bea f - social skills
 nicolas - science
 paul/godefroid - zope/web
 samuele - python language and libraries
 john pinner/harald? - business again
 aroldo/lac - education/neophytes
 lac - misfits
 armin/carl - refereed papers

If your one of these people I'd like you to add a description of your
track to

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/EuroPython/2006/TrackDescriptions

within the next week (or email me or the list if the wiki doesn't like
you for some reason).

In addition, there are a few questions:

(1) What are the sizes and numbers of the rooms we've reserved?  I
    know I've seen this somewhere, I just forget where that was.

(2) How seriously do we want to run tutorials?  Charging extra, doing
    them on a separate day and splitting the costs with the giver of
    the tutorial or just a couple of long-ish talks on the first
    morning?  If we want to take them seriously, we could do with
    finding some energetic person to take care of them.

(3) I read in an old-ish maik that "CERN are interested in a strong
    science track and a strong neophytes track."  Is there someone at
    CERN who can help with making sure this happens?  I guess this
    means to some extent coordination with Nicolas and a marketing
    effort to find scientists who can give interesting talks and
    finding out what they want to learn about :)

The current plan calls for the CFP to go out on the 15th of February,
a little more than two weeks time.  Is this still on course?  I think
so, modulo website stuff...

Cheers,
mwh

--
  It's an especially annoying American buzzword for "business use,
  as opposed to consumer, research, or educational use".

Re: track chair meeting today #europython 1700 central european time

Benedikt Hegner
Hi all,

> (1) What are the sizes and numbers of the rooms we've reserved?  I
>     know I've seen this somewhere, I just forget where that was.
we have four rooms and open space for posters. The main auditorium is
340. The others are about 100 plus space for two more rows.

> (2) How seriously do we want to run tutorials?  Charging extra, doing
>     them on a separate day and splitting the costs with the giver of
>     the tutorial or just a couple of long-ish talks on the first
>     morning?  If we want to take them seriously, we could do with
>     finding some energetic person to take care of them.
>
> (3) I read in an old-ish maik that "CERN are interested in a strong
>     science track and a strong neophytes track."  Is there someone at
>     CERN who can help with making sure this happens?  I guess this
>     means to some extent coordination with Nicolas and a marketing
>     effort to find scientists who can give interesting talks and
>     finding out what they want to learn about :)
One of us here in Geneva will help Nicolas with the Science Track.
And I have already some possible speakers  in mind.

Cheers
Benedikt

Re: track chair meeting today #europython 1700 central european time

Paul Everitt

On Jan 31, 2006, at 6:09 PM, Michael Hudson wrote:
> (2) How seriously do we want to run tutorials?  Charging extra, doing
>     them on a separate day and splitting the costs with the giver of
>     the tutorial or just a couple of long-ish talks on the first
>     morning?  If we want to take them seriously, we could do with
>     finding some energetic person to take care of them.

I totally agree.  The gap between "I think that's a must-do idea!"
and "I volunteer to make it happen" is rather large. :^)

IMO, 50% of the tutorial givers approach is as a much-longer
presentation.  It takes some good oversight to make sure the audience
gets its money worth.

--Paul

Re: track chair meeting today #europython 1700 central european time

Nicolas Chauvat
On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 06:27:31PM +0100, Benedikt Hegner wrote:
> One of us here in Geneva will help Nicolas with the Science Track.
> And I have already some possible speakers  in mind.

Nice. It is always better not to be the only one looking for speakers.

--
Nicolas Chauvat

logilab.fr - services en informatique avancĂ©e et gestion de connaissances