Quantcast

trying to upgrade

Glenn Linderman-3
Hi Andreas, et alia,

Slowly the wheels turn, and progress is made.  And then there are bumps in the road.  This is probably a bump.

You might recall that I was stuck on an old version of emacs because of incompatibilities newer versions had with AutoHotKey.  It was more important for me to be compatible, than to run the latest emacs.  Then recently I discovered the beta emacs is now compatible with AutoHotKey again, at least, as much as the old version was (there are still some issues, but they are not new).

So references here are to this emacs:

GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2012-02-15 on MARVIN

So I upgraded to the above new emacs, and now am upgrading to the new python-mode.el.  I was running python-mode.el 6.0.2 and I see 6.0.5 is now the latest version, so I downloaded it, tweaked my load-path to point to the new one, and opened a quite valid, successfully executing Python 3 source file.

The following error appeared in the minibar:

Error in menu-bar-update-hook (imenu-update-menubar): (error Lisp nesting exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth')

5 Py* menu entries appeared in the menu, however, so some menu updates apparently did work.

I note that loading python-mode.el takes a _long_ time (noticeable delay), probably do to this eval-depth limit being reached.

I notice that instead of my major mode being "Python" it is now "Python Outl" and I don't know why that should be (but I probably missed understanding something, in the emails about the new versions)?

I was inspired to do this, because python-mode.el 6.0.2 with this same version of emacs, entered an infinite loop when loading a .py file that had major syntax errors (it was actually just some text that I had planned to convert into a python program that would incorporate the techniques described by the text).  Happily this doesn't happen with the new python-mode.el 6.0.5, but that file also winds up in Python Outl mode.

Advice, please.  Is this an issues with emacs 24? a bug in python-mode 6.0.5? something triggered by the particular python file? Or something else?

Glenn

Re: trying to upgrade

Andreas Röhler-2
Am 08.04.2012 01:54, schrieb Glenn Linderman:
> Hi Andreas, et alia,
>
> Slowly the wheels turn, and progress is made. And then there are bumps in the road. This is probably a bump.

> You might recall that I was stuck on an old version of emacs because of incompatibilities newer versions had with AutoHotKey. It was more important for me to be compatible,
> than to run the latest emacs. Then recently I discovered the beta emacs is now compatible with AutoHotKey again, at least, as much as the old version was (there are still
> some issues, but they are not new).
>
> So references here are to this emacs:
>
> GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
> of 2012-02-15 on MARVIN
>
> So I upgraded to the above new emacs, and now am upgrading to the new python-mode.el. I was running python-mode.el 6.0.2 and I see 6.0.5 is now the latest version, so I
> downloaded it, tweaked my load-path to point to the new one, and opened a quite valid, successfully executing Python 3 source file.
>
> The following error appeared in the minibar:
>
> Error in menu-bar-update-hook (imenu-update-menubar): (error Lisp nesting exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth')

Hi Glenn

might be related to some indexing issue.

customize py-imenu-create-index-p to nil should avoid this anyway.

I'm testing with Emacs24 too from time to time and it passed as Emacs23 so far.

Nonetheless Emacs24 got some major changes and has some issues still.
Unless actively developing it, recommend Emacs23 for all productive work.

As for the rest, let's try to solve the knot by doing it one by one.

- disable all optional features as outline-mode - customize py-outline-minor-mode-p nil

If you still encounter some issues with latest release, please send an example file which triggers it, resp. make a bug report.

Best regards,

Andreas

Re: trying to upgrade

Glenn Linderman-3
On 4/7/2012 11:41 PM, Andreas Röhler wrote:
[...]

Your suggestions sound good.  Since they didn't look like elisp syntax, I tried the menus, Options / Customize Emacs / Programming / Languages / Python ... but couldn't guess where to go next.

So I apologize, I am unable to intuit elisp syntax from the above prose, nor guess my way into the customize tree to find them.  Can you be more explicit on what to do to turn of the options that might bypass these symptoms?  I don't grok much of the elisp parenthesis soup, I'm just an emacs user with a bit of .emacsrc cut-n-paste ability.

As for emacs 24, I am no emacs developer, but I cannot use emacs 22 or 23 due to incompatibilities with AutoHotKey, and 21 works fine for me for normal things, but is maybe too old for the latest python-mode, since you were not able to reproduce problems I had in the past.  So it is 21 or 24, which, if either, can you support with python-mode? Maybe it is premature to use 24, but I am supposing, unless you declare otherwise, that it is much more interesting to add support for 24 into python-mode than to support 21...

Re: trying to upgrade

Andreas Röhler-2
Am 08.04.2012 23:09, schrieb Glenn Linderman:

> On 4/7/2012 11:41 PM, Andreas Röhler wrote:
>> Am 08.04.2012 01:54, schrieb Glenn Linderman:
>>> Hi Andreas, et alia,
>>>
>>> Slowly the wheels turn, and progress is made. And then there are bumps in the road. This is probably a bump.
>>

>>> You might recall that I was stuck on an old version of emacs because of incompatibilities newer versions had with AutoHotKey. It was more important for me to be compatible,
>>> than to run the latest emacs. Then recently I discovered the beta emacs is now compatible with AutoHotKey again, at least, as much as the old version was (there are still
>>> some issues, but they are not new).
>>>
>>> So references here are to this emacs:
>>>
>>> GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
>>> of 2012-02-15 on MARVIN
>>>
>>> So I upgraded to the above new emacs, and now am upgrading to the new python-mode.el. I was running python-mode.el 6.0.2 and I see 6.0.5 is now the latest version, so I
>>> downloaded it, tweaked my load-path to point to the new one, and opened a quite valid, successfully executing Python 3 source file.
>>>
>>> The following error appeared in the minibar:
>>>
>>> Error in menu-bar-update-hook (imenu-update-menubar): (error Lisp nesting exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth')
>>
>> Hi Glenn
>>
>> might be related to some indexing issue.
>>
>> customize py-imenu-create-index-p to nil should avoid this anyway.
>>
>> I'm testing with Emacs24 too from time to time and it passed as Emacs23 so far.
>>
>> Nonetheless Emacs24 got some major changes and has some issues still.
>> Unless actively developing it, recommend Emacs23 for all productive work.
>>
>> As for the rest, let's try to solve the knot by doing it one by one.
>>
>> - disable all optional features as outline-mode - customize py-outline-minor-mode-p nil
>>

>> If you still encounter some issues with latest release, please send an example file which triggers it, resp. make a bug report.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Andreas
>
> Your suggestions sound good. Since they didn't look like elisp syntax, I tried the menus, Options / Customize Emacs / Programming / Languages / Python ... but couldn't
> guess where to go next.
>
> So I apologize, I am unable to intuit elisp syntax from the above prose, nor guess my way into the customize tree to find them. Can you be more explicit on what to do to
> turn of the options that might bypass these symptoms? I don't grok much of the elisp parenthesis soup, I'm just an emacs user with a bit of .emacsrc cut-n-paste ability.

IMO Python-mode should be useable from Menu alone, so far your experience is quite precious.
Please make an entry at

https://answers.launchpad.net/python-mode

with something like "How to customize `py-imenu-create-index-p' from Emacs/Python-mode menu?"

the answer should go into some FAQ later

> As for emacs 24, I am no emacs developer, but I cannot use emacs 22 or 23 due to incompatibilities with AutoHotKey, and 21 works fine for me for normal things, but is maybe
> too old for the latest python-mode, since you were not able to reproduce problems I had in the past. So it is 21 or 24, which, if either, can you support with python-mode?
> Maybe it is premature to use 24, but I am supposing, unless you declare otherwise, that it is much more interesting to add support for 24 into python-mode than to support
> 21...

okay, sounds reasonable then.