turtle in education

roberto-3
hello,
i am looking for materials, experiences etc. about using turtle module
in math, physics and related for middle or high school students

i realized a lot of work is going on but is there any place where all
or part of this material is gathered ?
i am going through the talk of Gregor Lingl at PyCon;

if you're aware of anything else just tell me

thank you very much
--
roberto

Re: turtle in education

Daniel Ajoy-2
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 05:00:02 -0500, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hello,
> i am looking for materials, experiences etc. about using turtle module
> in math, physics and related for middle or high school students
>
> i realized a lot of work is going on but is there any place where all
> or part of this material is gathered ?
> i am going through the talk of Gregor Lingl at PyCon;
>
> if you're aware of anything else just tell me
>
> thank you very much
> --

Materials?

http://neoparaiso.com/logo/ejercicios-de-geometria.html

Logo books and resources in general.

Daniel

Re: turtle in education

Mokurai
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 8:28 AM, roberto<[hidden email]> wrote:
> hello,
> i am looking for materials, experiences etc. about using turtle module
> in math, physics and related for middle or high school students

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Gravity.odt Alan Kay's third-grade
gravity lesson in Turtle Art, with extra material.

> i realized a lot of work is going on but is there any place where all
> or part of this material is gathered ?
> i am going through the talk of Gregor Lingl at PyCon;
>
> if you're aware of anything else just tell me
>
> thank you very much
> --
> roberto

And Children are my nation.
http://earthtreasury.org/worknet (Edward Mokurai Cherlin)

Re: turtle in education

Gregor Lingl-2
Hi Roberto, hi all,

I've just created a repository of turtle graphics demos/applications
at google code:

http://code.google.com/p/python-turtle-demo/

There are two versions of the collection: one for use with Python 3.1
and one for use with Python 2.5 / 2.6. The latter contains a backport
of version 1.1 of the turtle module (from Python 3.1) to Python 2.

Among others it contains all the examples I have demonstrated
at Pycon 2009 and at Europython 2009.

If you are interested to amend some of these examples, add some
explanatory material or contribute additional examples, please tell
me so I could add you as a committer to the project.

Maybe this repository could evolve to something Roberto was
asking for (below).

If you have questions concerning the examples, feel free to ask here.

I hope that this collection will prove to be useful.

Best regards,
Gregor

roberto schrieb:

> hello,
> i am looking for materials, experiences etc. about using turtle module
> in math, physics and related for middle or high school students
>
> i realized a lot of work is going on but is there any place where all
> or part of this material is gathered ?
> i am going through the talk of Gregor Lingl at PyCon;
>
> if you're aware of anything else just tell me
>
> thank you very much

Re: turtle in education

roberto-3
On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Gregor Lingl<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Roberto, hi all,
>
> I've just created a repository of turtle graphics demos/applications
> at google code:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/python-turtle-demo/

thank you Gregor !
I am back to office now and read your news

i'll take carefully into account your material;

also i'll try to differentiate the ways for my students using Sugar
TurtleArt as a start-up (and ongoing) tool and your Turtle module as
an ongoing one for more experienced guys;

it will take me some time but i'll contribute everything may help
others in the field

--
roberto

Re: turtle in education

Mokurai
We need to make sure that people in various programs can find such
resources. I will Wiki your repository at Earth Treasury and Sugar
Labs, and I am copying this to Stacy Reed, the Librarian Chick. Where
else can we list this and other resources?

Please be careful of CCs if you reply to this message.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 3:18 AM, roberto<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Gregor Lingl<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Roberto, hi all,
>>
>> I've just created a repository of turtle graphics demos/applications
>> at google code:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/python-turtle-demo/

You may add the demos I sent you. There will be many more, and we will
be building lesson plans around them using Walter Bender's Turtle Art
presentation tiles, and similar capabilibities in Etoys Smalltalk.

> thank you Gregor !
> I am back to office now and read your news
>
> i'll take carefully into account your material;
>
> also i'll try to differentiate the ways for my students using Sugar
> TurtleArt as a start-up (and ongoing) tool and your Turtle module as
> an ongoing one for more experienced guys;
>
> it will take me some time but i'll contribute everything may help
> others in the field
>
> --
> roberto

Edward Mokurai Cherlin
Silent Thunder (默雷/धर्ममेघशब्दगर्ज/دھرممیگھشبدگر ج) is my name, and
Children are
my nation. The Cosmos is my dwelling place, the Truth my destination.
http://earthtreasury.org/

Re: turtle in education

Gregor Lingl-2

roberto schrieb:

> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Gregor Lingl<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Roberto, hi all,
>>
>> I've just created a repository of turtle graphics demos/applications
>> at google code:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/python-turtle-demo/
>>

> thank you Gregor !
> I am back to office now and read your news
>
> i'll take carefully into account your material;
>
> also i'll try to differentiate the ways for my students using Sugar
> TurtleArt as a start-up (and ongoing) tool and your Turtle module as
> an ongoing one for more experienced guys;
>
> it will take me some time but i'll contribute everything may help
> others in the field

Hi Roberto,

did you already arrive at some results/conclusions concerning the use of
turtle.py?

Best regards,
Gregor

Re: turtle in education

roberto-3
On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 10:09 PM, Gregor Lingl <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> also i'll try to differentiate the ways for my students using Sugar
>> TurtleArt as a start-up (and ongoing) tool and your Turtle module as
>> an ongoing one for more experienced guys;
>>
>> it will take me some time but i'll contribute everything may help
>> others in the field
>>

> Hi Roberto,
>
> did you already arrive at some results/conclusions concerning the use of
> turtle.py?

Hi Gregor,
thank you for your mail;

actually, as stated above, i'd start with TurtleArt as a first and
ongoing tool for programming;
the second step will involve turtle.py for more proficient guys;

my schedule is delayed because of technical problem with turte art, as
you can already see in sugar list and because of other minor issues in
my computer room at school;

anyway i'll collect everything down in a wiki, jointly started with
students and (hopefully) other colleagues;
i don't know how much time it will take to make everything ready, but
i'll post it here as soon as it is done

keep posted

--
roberto