types of files...

Rob Healey
Greetings All:

With the help of others and myself, we are moving Gramps[1] from an
autotools system to Distutils packaging...

I know that Autotools/ makefiles can handle these types of files, but
I need to know if it is possible to even a way to handle?
a) *.in
b) *.keys
c) *.xml
d) man files

with Distutils/ Distutils2?

I need to be able to merge different language translations into these files...

--
Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

Re: types of files...

Éric Araujo
Greetings,

> With the help of others and myself, we are moving Gramps[1] from an
> autotools system to Distutils packaging...
>
> I know that Autotools/ makefiles can handle these types of files, but
> I need to know if it is possible to even a way to handle?
> a) *.in
> b) *.keys
> c) *.xml
> d) man files
> with Distutils/ Distutils2?
It depends on what you mean with “handle”.  Out of the box, distutils
can compile C sources and it can install Python modules, extension
modules (written in C), scripts, data files that are supposed to go in
the same directory as a package (called package_data), data files that
are supposed to go to arbitrary locations in the system (called
data_files).  So if you declare for example man files as data files,
distutils will install them for you, but in a fragile,
platform-dependent way: you will have to hard-code the destinations in
your setup.py.  Countless posts on this mailing list and stack overflow
show how this situation is unsatisfactory.

distutils2 is smarter when installing: you associate files with
categories in your setup.cfg file and d2 will install them to the right
locations for each system (see
http://docs.python.org/dev/packaging/setupcfg#resources).  In your
program code, you can call distutils2.database.get_file_path and
get_file to access the installed files.

> I need to be able to merge different language translations into these files...
Then you need a custom command for the build step.  There are various
projects on PyPI which implement this; I don’t have access to my
bookmarks now, but from the top of my head there are Babel, van.potomo,
4Suite.  Beware that some of them don’t work with pure distutils but
require setuptools, which may be a good or a bad thing depending on your
needs and tastes.  Note that distutils2 is able to use distutils1-based
commands, or will be when I have fixed a bug that I found last Saturday :)

If you have more questions, please ask them.

Regards