unicode/tkinter difficulties on macosx

vincent rioux
Dear list,
sorry if you find this subject slightly out of the scope of this list.

Well, I have hard time finding documentation on how to display correctly
unicode characters with a basic Tkinter widget on Macosx.

from Tkinter import *
root = Tk()
w = Label(root, text=u'\u0254')
w.pack()
root.mainloop()

This should display an 'open o' of the IPA.
It happens to work with python from FINK (hence using x11) but I just
can't get it to work on pythonw2.4/tcl-tk acqua. It will only display an
empty square. I also noticed that i could display characters up to \xFF
but it seems that i don't manage to access to characters starting from
/x0100...

any ideas, redirections or solutions are welcome
by advance many thanks,
vincent

Re: unicode/tkinter difficulties on macosx

Guido van Rossum
Sounds like a font problem. You're probably better off asking the
Tcl/Tk list about that.