upcoming release

Andreas Röhler-2
Hi Barry,

enabling XEmacs' handling of triple-quoted-strings fixing bugs known for
now seems an interesting item from my perspective.

paragraph-fill-warts branch should enable this.

https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/paragraph-fill-warts

It comes with a lot of utilities though, some required, some just part
of the tool-box, where singling-out the required here is possible.

I'm hesitating to propose that for general release, as people might be
scared by the material, which is just partly python-related.

OTOH, what I'm promessing: it pays.

These utilities will fasten up editing, python-mode and all other.

What about to release a thus experimental brunch for XEmacs users first,
while it will work for all?

Andreas

Re: upcoming release

Barry Warsaw
On Jan 28, 2011, at 10:56 PM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

>enabling XEmacs' handling of triple-quoted-strings fixing bugs known for now
>seems an interesting item from my perspective.  paragraph-fill-warts branch
>should enable this.
>https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/paragraph-fill-warts It
>comes with a lot of utilities though, some required, some just part of the
>tool-box, where singling-out the required here is possible.  I'm hesitating
>to propose that for general release, as people might be scared by the
>material, which is just partly python-related.  OTOH, what I'm promessing: it
>pays.  These utilities will fasten up editing, python-mode and all other.
>What about to release a thus experimental brunch for XEmacs users first,
>while it will work for all?  Andreas
Andreas, as always, thanks for your hard work on python-mode!  It's very much
appreciated.

I've merged your branch and will play with it over the weekend.  I'm going to
leave it to Skip to verify the XEmacs compatibility issues (Skip please let us
know if you need help getting Andreas's branch).

python-mode.el has always been self-contained, meaning people can easily
download or copy one file and get great Python support in Emacs.  Requiring
your utilities changes that, and can make it harder for some folks to adopt
python-mode.el.  I'm not saying that necessarily means it can't be done, but
we do have to think about the ramifications.  I'd like to get other folks
thoughts on that.

OTOH, I encourage you to get your code into upstream Emacs and XEmacs.  That
would certainly make our lives easy again. :)

Do you think it would be possible and easy to pull out just the parts that
python-mode.el needs and include those in that file?  If not, then what about
making sure python-mode.el gracefully degrades when those extra files aren't
there?

By that I mean, if someone does not have your new utilities, python-mode.el
should at least work as well as it does currently.  python-mode.el should then
take advantage of your utilities if they're available.

Thoughts?
-Barry

Re: upcoming release

Andreas Röhler-2
Am 29.01.2011 01:06, schrieb [hidden email]:

>      Barry>  I've merged your branch and will play with it over the weekend.
>      Barry>  I'm going to leave it to Skip to verify the XEmacs compatibility
>      Barry>  issues (Skip please let us know if you need help getting
>      Barry>  Andreas's branch).
>
> I was able to check it out and just load-file'd the python-mode.el.  (Should
> I have done more?)  When I tried to format the triple-quoted in this file:
>
>      """
>      triple-quoted string containing "quotation" marks.
>      triple-quoted string containing "quotation" marks.
>      triple-quoted string containing "quotation" marks.
>      triple-quoted string containing "quotation" marks.
>      triple-quoted string containing "quotation" marks.
>      """
>
>      class Foo(object):
>          @staticmethod
>          def bar(aList):
>              for x in aList:
>                  for y in x:
>                      print y
>

> It complained about ar-bounds-of-comment-atpt.  Shouldn't loading
> python-mode.el have complained about that?

yes, thanks.
Added the require-forms.

  Trying to load-file the file
> where that symbol was defined failed.
>
> I added the paragraph-fill-warts to the start of load-path and restarted
> XEmacs.  I then tried to byte-compile python-mode.el.  That failed with the
> usual (for me) complaint about string-to-syntax being missing.

There was an old version in this branch.
Checked in the new one. Also the sequence of new forms had to be changed.

Some compile warnings remain with XEmacs 21.5.

Could you pull again and check?

Andreas

> I'll wait for these problems to be resolved before doing more.
>
> Skip

Re: upcoming release

Andreas Röhler-2
Am 28.01.2011 23:09, schrieb Barry Warsaw:

> On Jan 28, 2011, at 10:56 PM, Andreas Röhler wrote:
>
>> enabling XEmacs' handling of triple-quoted-strings fixing bugs known for now
>> seems an interesting item from my perspective.  paragraph-fill-warts branch
>> should enable this.
>> https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/paragraph-fill-warts It
>> comes with a lot of utilities though, some required, some just part of the
>> tool-box, where singling-out the required here is possible.  I'm hesitating
>> to propose that for general release, as people might be scared by the
>> material, which is just partly python-related.  OTOH, what I'm promessing: it
>> pays.  These utilities will fasten up editing, python-mode and all other.
>> What about to release a thus experimental brunch for XEmacs users first,
>> while it will work for all?  Andreas
>
> Andreas, as always, thanks for your hard work on python-mode!  It's very much
> appreciated.
>
> I've merged your branch and will play with it over the weekend.

Hi Barry,

sounds great.

I'm going to
> leave it to Skip to verify the XEmacs compatibility issues (Skip please let us
> know if you need help getting Andreas's branch).
>
> python-mode.el has always been self-contained, meaning people can easily
> download or copy one file and get great Python support in Emacs.  Requiring
> your utilities changes that, and can make it harder for some folks to adopt
> python-mode.el.

Indeed, that's my concern too.

>  I'm not saying that necessarily means it can't be done, but
> we do have to think about the ramifications.  I'd like to get other folks
> thoughts on that.
>
> OTOH, I encourage you to get your code into upstream Emacs and XEmacs.  That
> would certainly make our lives easy again. :)
>
> Do you think it would be possible and easy to pull out just the parts that
> python-mode.el needs and include those in that file?

That can be done.

OTOH it's rather hard keeping that stuff parallel.

> If not, then what about
> making sure python-mode.el gracefully degrades when those extra files aren't
> there?

Don't see that, comment below.

> By that I mean, if someone does not have your new utilities, python-mode.el
> should at least work as well as it does currently.  python-mode.el should then
> take advantage of your utilities if they're available.
>
> Thoughts?
> -Barry

As it's XEmacs only, which enforced the re-write, maybe
we should wait if it works there.

In case it works, could extract the needed stuff to
it's required minimum.

Nontheless GNU Emacs won't need it, so keeping the
syntax-parsing as it is for GNU Emacs users will be an
option.

Also in case XEmacs merges up to GNU code, the
regexp-backed parser will not be needed any more.

OTOH there are some gains adressed already in the
second-level-command blueprint.

For me the best would be maintaining for a certain time
basically three branches

- the classic, presently de facto GNU only

- XEmacs special triple quoted string debugged, but
   fine for GNU Emacs also

- a second-level-command enabled IDE. As this slc's
   will count in thousands and ten-thousands, using it
   needs an understandings of it's construction, i.e. of
   the cross-use of it's underlying lists:

   `ar-hide-bracketed-in-line-atpt' for example hides
    everything insides brackets within the given line.
    Resp. `ar-show-bracketed-in-line-atpt' displays it
    again, `ar-hide-show-bracketed-in-line-atpt' toggles
    this state.

    You have `ar-hide-bracketed-in-parentized-atpt' and so on.
    See the comment in `thingatpt-utils-base.el' for more.

As for the latter, think we still need some time to
discuss and check it's usefulness.

Andreas

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/python-mode-components
https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

Re: upcoming release

Skip Montanaro-3

    Andreas> Could you pull again and check?

I get failures when I visit a .py file.  load-path includes your version at
the front:

    ("/Users/skip/src/paragraph-fill-warts" "/Users/skip/emacs/sql"
    "/Users/skip/emacs/url" "/Users/skip/emacs"
    "/Users/skip/local/lib/xemacs/site-lisp"
    "/Users/skip/local/lib/xemacs-21.4.22/lisp/")

and (find-library "python-mode") confirms that it finds your version.

When I visit a .py file I get this error though:

    File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file: %s" misc-utils)

Skip

Re: upcoming release

Andreas Röhler-2
Am 29.01.2011 16:03, schrieb [hidden email]:

>      Andreas>  Could you pull again and check?
>
> I get failures when I visit a .py file.  load-path includes your version at
> the front:
>
>      ("/Users/skip/src/paragraph-fill-warts" "/Users/skip/emacs/sql"
>      "/Users/skip/emacs/url" "/Users/skip/emacs"
>      "/Users/skip/local/lib/xemacs/site-lisp"
>      "/Users/skip/local/lib/xemacs-21.4.22/lisp/")
>
> and (find-library "python-mode") confirms that it finds your version.
>
> When I visit a .py file I get this error though:
>
>      File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file: %s" misc-utils)
>
> Skip

Ok, so let's have it. Pushed just now.

Thanks and sorry...

BTW, as mentioned in another posting, will strip down all that stuff if
it works for you finally.

Andreas

Re: upcoming release

Skip Montanaro-3

    Andreas> Ok, so let's have it. Pushed just now.

File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file: %s" string-strip)

load-path:

    `load-path' is a simple built-in variable.

    Value: ("/Users/skip/src/paragraph-fill-warts"  ...

Skip

Re: upcoming release

Andreas Röhler-2
Am 29.01.2011 17:12, schrieb [hidden email]:

>      Andreas>  Ok, so let's have it. Pushed just now.
>
> File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file: %s" string-strip)

ehm... pushed

> load-path:
>
>      `load-path' is a simple built-in variable.
>
>      Value: ("/Users/skip/src/paragraph-fill-warts"  ...
>
> Skip

Re: upcoming release

Skip Montanaro-3
Latest error:

  File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file: %s" sh-beg-end)

Skip

Re: upcoming release

Andreas Röhler-2
Am 29.01.2011 17:41, schrieb [hidden email]:
> Latest error:
>
>    File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file: %s" sh-beg-end)

Well, it's able to jump to beginnings- and end of shell blocks, what the
common GNU mode can't

This world should be finite though...

added and pushed