usage of port 0

Raghuram Devarakonda-2

Hi,

Sometime back, I requested a feature where port 0 can be used to
indicate "use any free port". The details are mentioned  here:

http://www.cherrypy.org/ticket/645

I feel that this will be a very useful feature for applications where
browser is automatically brought up from a separate thread and is used
as GUI. I explained it in more detail in the post

http://groups.google.com/group/cherrypy-users/browse_frm/thread/b202d118282a88c1/cdc20e57a85435d6?lnk=gst&q=raghu&rnum=1#cdc20e57a85435d6

Can we have some discussion on how best to implement this feature? If
some agreement is reached, I am willing to put up the patch.

Thanks,
Raghu.

Re: usage of port 0

Robert Brewer

raghu wrote:

> Sometime back, I requested a feature where port 0 can be used to
> indicate "use any free port". The details are mentioned  here:
>
> http://www.cherrypy.org/ticket/645
>
> I feel that this will be a very useful feature for applications where
> browser is automatically brought up from a separate thread and is used
> as GUI. I explained it in more detail in the post
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/cherrypy-users/browse_frm/threa
d/b202d118282a88c1/cdc20e57a85435d6?lnk=gst&q=raghu&rnum=1>
#cdc20e57a85435d6

> Can we have some discussion on how best to implement this feature? If
> some agreement is reached, I am willing to put up the patch.

I've been putting that decision off until the web-SIG has more
discussion about a standard way to compose WSGI stacks (because the New
Way will undoubtedly override whatever implementation of port 0 we might
put in CP 3.0.2). Not to mention that the current cherrypy.server
implementation is fragile; I think this patch will just make it more
fragile. IMO any patch would have to start by being integrated into the
new "restsrv" subpackage in trunk, which is perhaps 10% done. :(

Robert Brewer
System Architect
Amor Ministries