useful article regarding extending existing software

useful article regarding extending existing software

jim stockford

http://www.embeddedtechmag.com/component/content/article/7542

   Software Of Unknown Pedigree is legacy software
the design of which is not easily determined. this
article explores the problem facing those who are
charged with coding improvements (new features,
performance...) to such legacy code.

Re: useful article regarding extending existing software

Shannon -jj Behrens
On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 10:45 AM, jim <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://www.embeddedtechmag.com/component/content/article/7542
>
>   Software Of Unknown Pedigree is legacy software
> the design of which is not easily determined. this
> article explores the problem facing those who are
> charged with coding improvements (new features,
> performance...) to such legacy code.

I think that article is very helpful for dealing with SOUP (Software
Of Unknown Pedigree) code, but I'm not at all convinced it's suitable
for dealing with CRAP (Cantankerous and Really Asinine Python) code ;)

-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Re: useful article regarding extending existing software

Stephen McInerney
True. In the spirit of CRAP, there are still companies out there using
legacy Python 1.x code, most of which can never be ported.
Maybe we need a tool which, among other things, calculates the CRAP index.
You know a language is getting mature when reengineering starts becoming a headache.

Stephen

> Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 01:40:43 -0700
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Baypiggies] useful article regarding extending existing software
>
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 10:45 AM, jim <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > http://www.embeddedtechmag.com/component/content/article/7542
> >
> >   Software Of Unknown Pedigree is legacy software
> > the design of which is not easily determined. this
> > article explores the problem facing those who are
> > charged with coding improvements (new features,
> > performance...) to such legacy code.
>
> I think that article is very helpful for dealing with SOUP (Software
> Of Unknown Pedigree) code, but I'm not at all convinced it's suitable
> for dealing with CRAP (Cantankerous and Really Asinine Python) code ;)
>
> -jj

Re: useful article regarding extending existing software

Shannon -jj Behrens
On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Stephen McInerney
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> True. In the spirit of CRAP, there are still companies out there using
> legacy Python 1.x code, most of which can never be ported.
> Maybe we need a tool which, among other things, calculates the CRAP index.
> You know a language is getting mature when reengineering starts becoming a
> headache.

I do believe Pylint can calculate a piece of code's CRAP index, but I
think they call it something else ;)

-jj