username and allowed alphanumeric, why?

Stefano T
Hi all,

mostly curiosity, why does the username https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.11/ref/contrib/auth/#django.contrib.auth.models.User.username allow only _, @, +, . and - characters?
is there a reason for that?

Re: username and allowed alphanumeric, why?

Avraham Serour
It seems you read that wrong, usernames may contain alphanumeric and other characters.

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 12:10 PM, Stefano Tranquillini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

mostly curiosity, why does the username https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.11/ref/contrib/auth/#django.contrib.auth.models.User.username allow only _, @, +, . and - characters?
is there a reason for that?

Re: username and allowed alphanumeric, why?

Melvyn Sopacua
On dinsdag 10 april 2018 11:10:33 CEST Stefano Tranquillini wrote:

> mostly curiosity, why does the username
> https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.11/ref/contrib/auth/#django.contrib.auth
> .models.User.username allow only _, @, +, . and - characters?
> is there a reason for that?

Yeah. It's explained a few lines below in the box titled "Usernames and
unicode". The special chars mentioned are just as random I presume.

--
Melvyn Sopacua

Re: username and allowed alphanumeric, why?

Stefano T
My question was related why only that set of extrachars, adding a '=' is a dangerous step or not?
Reading the rest of the page it seems that everyhing is supported with unicode.

On donderdag 12 april 2018 15:59:50 CEST Stefano Tranquillini wrote:
> My question was related why only that set of extrachars, adding a '=' is a
> dangerous step or not?
> Reading the rest of the page it seems that everyhing is supported with
> unicode.

Everything except non-printables and control characters ("the usual"). Adding
a = poses no danger.

--
Melvyn Sopacua