weird windows 7 error with ImageFont

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

weird windows 7 error with ImageFont

Edward Cannon-2
I am running python 2.6.4 (32 bit) on windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit).
I installed PIL 1.1.7 a few months ago from the official installer. I
sat down today and tried to load a font using the ImageFont.truetype
function. I get the following error.
ImportError: The _imagingft C module is not installed
I have had no other errors, and have used the other modules
extensively with this install. Any ideas as to what the problem might
be?
Thanks
Edward
_______________________________________________
Image-SIG maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/image-sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: weird windows 7 error with ImageFont

Oliver Tonnhofer-4

On 05.05.2010, at 06:12, Laura & Edward Cannon wrote:

> I am running python 2.6.4 (32 bit) on windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit).
> I installed PIL 1.1.7 a few months ago from the official installer. I
> sat down today and tried to load a font using the ImageFont.truetype
> function. I get the following error.
> ImportError: The _imagingft C module is not installed
> I have had no other errors, and have used the other modules
> extensively with this install. Any ideas as to what the problem might
> be?

The Windows binaries for 1.1.7 where not compiled with FreeType  
support. You need to downgrade to 1.1.6 or build you own packages.

Regards,
Oliver

_______________________________________________
Image-SIG maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/image-sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: weird windows 7 error with ImageFont

Fredrik Lundh
What binaries are we talking about?  I'm pretty sure the effbot.org
binaries have _imagingft in them, at least:

$ unzip -v PIL-1.1.7.win32-py2.6.exe
  ...
  324608  Defl:N   170249  48%  11-02-09 13:42  5462e136
PLATLIB/PIL/_imaging.pyd
  101376  Defl:N    51319  49%  11-02-09 13:42  cdd53308
PLATLIB/PIL/_imagingcms.pyd
  396288  Defl:N   225835  43%  11-02-09 13:42  bab256eb
PLATLIB/PIL/_imagingft.pyd
   15872  Defl:N     6022  62%  11-02-09 13:42  e9836738
PLATLIB/PIL/_imagingmath.pyd
    8704  Defl:N     4165  52%  11-02-09 13:42  899b8d80
PLATLIB/PIL/_imagingtk.pyd
  ...

(I think there's a sanity test for this in the upload tools, but I'm
not 100% sure about that)

No Windows box within reach right now, so I cannot check if there's
some other problem with the ft module

</F>

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Oliver Tonnhofer <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On 05.05.2010, at 06:12, Laura & Edward Cannon wrote:
>
>> I am running python 2.6.4 (32 bit) on windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit).
>> I installed PIL 1.1.7 a few months ago from the official installer. I
>> sat down today and tried to load a font using the ImageFont.truetype
>> function. I get the following error.
>> ImportError: The _imagingft C module is not installed
>> I have had no other errors, and have used the other modules
>> extensively with this install. Any ideas as to what the problem might
>> be?
>
> The Windows binaries for 1.1.7 where not compiled with FreeType support. You
> need to downgrade to 1.1.6 or build you own packages.
>
> Regards,
> Oliver
>
> _______________________________________________
> Image-SIG maillist  -  [hidden email]
> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/image-sig
>
_______________________________________________
Image-SIG maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/image-sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: weird windows 7 error with ImageFont

Fran-27
On 5 May 2010 04:48, Fredrik Lundh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What binaries are we talking about?  I'm pretty sure the effbot.org
> binaries have _imagingft in them, at least:

The file is there, but won't import on my Windows 7 64-bit Python-2.6 machine.
The Application log shows a Side-by-Side error:
http://blogs.msdn.com/junfeng/archive/2006/04/14/576314.aspx

sxstrace output can be provided, but it doesn't seem helpful to me...

Downgrading to 1.1.6 worked for me.

Best Wishes,
Fran.
_______________________________________________
Image-SIG maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/image-sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: weird windows 7 error with ImageFont

Edward Cannon-2
running the selftest.py I find the following output:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
PIL 1.1.7 TEST SUMMARY
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Python modules loaded from C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\PIL
Binary modules loaded from C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\PIL
--------------------------------------------------------------------
--- PIL CORE support ok
--- TKINTER support ok
--- JPEG support ok
--- ZLIB (PNG/ZIP) support ok
*** FREETYPE2 support not installed
--- LITTLECMS support ok
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Running selftest:
--- 57 tests passed.

I tried installing freetype2 from the GnuWin people
(http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/freetype.htm) but that
didn't seem to help, even with a reinstall of PIL. Do I need to try to
recompile PIL or do something else? sxstrace output doesn't seem
helpful to me either, unfortunately most of my C experience is on
other OS's, but I'm willing to play around.
Edward

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Fran Boon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 May 2010 04:48, Fredrik Lundh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What binaries are we talking about?  I'm pretty sure the effbot.org
>> binaries have _imagingft in them, at least:
>
> The file is there, but won't import on my Windows 7 64-bit Python-2.6 machine.
> The Application log shows a Side-by-Side error:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/junfeng/archive/2006/04/14/576314.aspx
>
> sxstrace output can be provided, but it doesn't seem helpful to me...
>
> Downgrading to 1.1.6 worked for me.
>
> Best Wishes,
> Fran.
>
_______________________________________________
Image-SIG maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/image-sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: weird windows 7 error with ImageFont

Stani-2
In reply to this post by Oliver Tonnhofer-4
On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Oliver Tonnhofer <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On 05.05.2010, at 06:12, Laura & Edward Cannon wrote:
>
>> I am running python 2.6.4 (32 bit) on windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit).
>> I installed PIL 1.1.7 a few months ago from the official installer. I
>> sat down today and tried to load a font using the ImageFont.truetype
>> function. I get the following error.
>> ImportError: The _imagingft C module is not installed
>> I have had no other errors, and have used the other modules
>> extensively with this install. Any ideas as to what the problem might
>> be?
>
> The Windows binaries for 1.1.7 where not compiled with FreeType support. You
> need to downgrade to 1.1.6 or build you own packages.
The problem is only with the PIL 1.1.7-py26 installer. It works fine
with the PIL-1.1.7-py25 installer.


--
Phatch Photo Batch Processor - http://photobatch.stani.be
SPE Python IDE - http://pythonide.stani.be
_______________________________________________
Image-SIG maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/image-sig