Quantcast

win32com installation problem X64

Fredrik Kant
Hi!
I have a problem when installing the pywin32-217.win-amd64-py2.6.exe (from Source Forge) when I installed python 2.6 using the python-2.6.amd64.msi.
I got the problem on SQL Server 8 R2 and Windows 7 Ultimate.
When I run the pywin installer it halts in the post installer section and in Swedish informs me that it can't find a module as:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 612, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 322, in install
  File "<string>", line 160, in LoadSystemModule
ImportError: DLL load failed: Det går inte att hitta den angivna modulen.
I managed on the server installation to copy the pythoncom26.dll, pythoncomloader26.dll and pywintypes26.dll to the standard DLL's directory. Adding some path so that win32\lib\pywintypes.py is found I manage to import, for example Dispatch via:
>>>import pywintypes
>>>from win32com.client import Dispatch
However the import will fail if I omitt the pywintypes import ???

On 32-bit system everything works perfect (atleast on a XP and SQL Server 2003).
And I never had any problem with python 2.5.

Any idea?

PS! I have to use Python 2.6 because I support the SunGard FRONT ARENA system which have python built in since 1996 and now they switch from 2.5 -> 2.6.

/Fredrik Kant