Quantcast

window flashes rapidly

Lynn Oliver
I'm using python 2.7.2 with Tcl/Tk 8.5.11, and I'm using a lot of ttk themed widgets in the UI.  The layout is a ttk.notebook with a number of frames per tab; some tabs have frames that are created/destroyed based on user selections.

Occasionally when I execute the program, either within the debugger or by itself, the entire window flashes rapidly and continues until I terminate the script.   I had noticed that certain dimensions in the frames that are dynamically replaced caused the flashing whenever I caused the frames to change, and by making small adjustments it seemed that I had eliminated the problem.

However it still happens occasionally--but not repeatably on my system--and now I've gotten a report from a tester that it flashes on his system when he hasn't done anything that causes frames to be created.  As soon as he clicks on a certain button widget the entire UI starts flashing.  The same scenario doesn't cause it to flash on my system.

Does anyone know what causes this?  Any suggestions for tracking down and eliminating the problem?

Thanks,
Lynn